Is my graphics card dying?

Jul 25, 2018
Is my GPU dead?

I'd like to preface by saying that I recently changed my PC's motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Before the hardware upgrade, I had been getting random restarts rarely. However, shortly after the change, while gaming my PC would freeze, almost invariably, with a solid colored screen (usually orange, light green, brown - whatever the major color was before the crash) and an RRRR sound, and I would reboot it manually. I've monitored my CPU and GPU temps and both seem fine, I've done a fresh install of Windows to hopefully eliminate the possibility of a software issue, and I removed the GPU, cleaned the contacts, and replaced it to make sure I had installed it properly. I've also made sure all of my drivers (GPU, BIOS and other motherboard drivers) are all up to date. None of these appeared to solve the issue.

I reproduced the crash today, and this time I played music while gaming. This time, the screen went completely black, the monitor went back into standby mode, the windows sound cue for something being disconnected played, and I could still hear my music.

Here are the specs:
i7 7700k @4.2 Ghz
Asrock z270 Extreme 4
16 Gb DDR4 RAM
EVGA GTX 970 SC

Thank you in advance!

Does this happen ONLY when gaming?

Have you tried using the integrated CPU graphics, if it does not only happen when gaming, to see if the problem is resolved? If it does not happen using integrated graphics then the problem is likely PSU or graphics card.

What is the model number of your power supply?

Jul 25, 2018

Yes it happens only when gaming. I just removed the graphics card and tried running the game on integrated graphics for an hour, and it did not freeze or crash too.

My power supply is a Corsair HX750.

Thank you for your response!

Jul 25, 2018

Unfortunately, I do not.

Thank you

Then I think you have your answer, or at least a good indicator as to what direction you need to go in order to solve the problem. Still possible that the power supply is to blame since integrated graphics use far less power and put far less strain on the PSU than any graphics card would do.

You might download HWinfo, specifically, that utility, not any other, and run "Sensors only". Fire up a game or run a stress utility like Prime95 or Realbench and see what the 3v, 5v and 12v values say in HWinfo while doing so.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the card was bad, but I think I'd verify that the output voltages are where they need to be under load for the PSU before doing so as a bad PSU can easily mimic a faulty graphics card.

Jul 25, 2018

I monitored the voltages during a prime95 stress test. They were as follows:
+5V: 5.112V
3VCC: 3.36V
+12V: 12.192V
3VSB: 3.488V

So I think the PSU should be ok, which is awesome since I've had it for 4 years now, roughly. On the flip side though, my GPU is just a couple months outside of warranty.

Thank you for your help though!

zfast4y0u

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
if you have spare cable for ur gpu try other one ( those with 6 pin or 8 pin that go from psu to gpu), can be faulty cable, or your psu is not able to power it up and u get glitches or what not.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Bad cables do not cause reboots. And he literally just tested his PSU, its fine.

Please read and understand the thread before replying in the future.

Based on what you've done so far, it's pretty clear the GPU card is to blame. I'd be very, very surprised if it was something else.

I guess you have an excuse to upgrade now, or are in the undesirable position of needing to, whichever best fits your situation.