[SOLVED] Is my graphics card failing?

Synergy34

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
Hello,

I’ve been experiencing extensive problems during gameplay of certain games and I think my MSI 5700 Evoke OC might be failing. I recently received an Oculus Rift S VR headset and connected everything and all was working properly. However, at completely random times during VR gameplay, VR will freeze, then both the monitor and VR display will turn pitch black while the audio of the game continues to play. To add, the PC stays on as well. Each time this happens, which is a couple times a day, I have to hard reset my PC. The blacking out occurs during random times. It could be right after launching a game, or it could be in the middle of a game of beatsaber. I've monitored my CPU and RAM usage and it never hits the 100%, so I think it's graphics card related. It's just strange because it seems to work just fine during normal gameplay. I receive problems specifically with VR and Minecraft Windows 10. Minecraft Windows 10 most of the time just has crashes rather than black screens. Sometimes when I open rocket league the screen stays white.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600x
ASRock Phantom Gaming 4
Corsair DDR4 16gb 3200
MSI Rx 5700 Evoke OC
650W Corsair PSU

So far, I've:

Fully updated GPU drivers and windows
Done GPU stress tests(15min+ with temps around 90°) and had no problems

Also, in the past I’ve gotten GPU driver errors

Solution
Hey @Mrgr74

thanks for your response. Here are some of the answers to your questions

The exact PSU I have is the Corsair CX650M. The graphics card recommended power supply wattage on the MSI website is 750W(https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-5700-EVOKE-OC/Specification), but it power consumption is only 225W

The BIOS of my motherboard is version 1.6

I have not overclocked anything myself, although the overclock is in the name in the 5700 Evoke OC, and I do have my RAM running stable at 3200

The only other game that I have issues with is Minecraft for Windows 10, where sometimes it will crash directly to desktop after about 5 seconds. Seems like a different problem though. The main problem primarily affects...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @Synergy34

1st off, nice system.

Please list out the exact brand of PSU you have. We have a few well versed in PSU's members here that will review the unit to see if it's a powerful enough PSU.

What Bios is your motherboard? There were 7 Bios updates last year for your mobo with 2.20 being the newest version.

No OC's correct and your Ram is stable? XMP @ 3200?

It looks like only VR games are having issues? Any other non-VR games you play that have similar issues? You stress tested it up to 90 but hows it's normal idle & normal gaming temps? Do you have the fan control in the AMD drivers on or a 3rd party fan control like Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner?

A little more info please.

Synergy34

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
Hey @Mrgr74

The exact PSU I have is the Corsair CX650M. The graphics card recommended power supply wattage on the MSI website is 750W(https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-5700-EVOKE-OC/Specification), but it power consumption is only 225W

I have not overclocked anything myself, although the overclock is in the name in the 5700 Evoke OC, and I do have my RAM running stable at 3200

The only other game that I have issues with is Minecraft for Windows 10, where sometimes it will crash directly to desktop after about 5 seconds. Seems like a different problem though. The main problem primarily affects VR experience. Idle the GPU is around 55, gaming temps tend to stay in between 60-70 degrees C, and I haven't messed with the GPU fan controls at all. I know that MSI sets the fans to turn on at 60 degrees.

If you need any more info do not hesitate to ask

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hey @Mrgr74

The only other game that I have issues with is Minecraft for Windows 10, where sometimes it will crash directly to desktop after about 5 seconds. Seems like a different problem though. The main problem primarily affects VR experience. Idle the GPU is around 55, gaming temps tend to stay in between 60-70 degrees C, and I haven't messed with the GPU fan controls at all. I know that MSI sets the fans to turn on at 60 degrees.

If you need any more info do not hesitate to ask

Thank for the quick reply back. I'll let another member here confirm, but if memory serves, you may want to give thought to getting a different PSU as I have heard certain Corsair models, namely the CX model may not be enough. I will defer to another member to verify.

The temps for your 5700 are within specs and you said you had the newest drivers so I'd suggest you to take a look in the AMD control panel and manually set the fans to kick on at a lower temp as I do not know how good the cooling heatsink on your 5700 is. Cooler is of course always better.

Glad to hear about the RAM.

I wish I had a VR set myself as I got a 5700 XT for xmas, which was a massive upgrade from my trusty but getting old 1060 6GB. So I'm useless when it comes to being able to talk to you about possible VR fixes. As I'm still getting the hang of the new AMD drivers, (Last AMD card I had was the beastly 4850) I can't tell you exactly where the fan control is, only that it is kinda hidden in a few sub-tabs in the control panel itself. I would advise you to have as much air flow over your card as you can audibly stand.

Here are a few posts about VR & the 5700 that might interest you.

Last edited:
Solution

Synergy34

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
Thank for the quick reply back. I'll let another member here confirm, but if memory serves, you may want to give thought to getting a different PSU as I have heard certain Corsair models, namely the CX model may not be enough. I will defer to another member to verify.

The temps for your 5700 are within specs and you said you had the newest drivers so I'd suggest you to take a look in the AMD control panel and manually set the fans to kick on at a lower temp as I do not know how good the cooling heatsink on your 5700 is. Cooler is of course always better.

Glad to hear about the RAM.

I wish I had a VR set myself as I got a 5700 XT for xmas, which was a massive upgrade from my trusty but getting old 1060 6GB. So I'm useless when it comes to being able to talk to you about possible VR fixes. As I'm still getting the hang of the new AMD drivers, (Last AMD card I had was the beastly 4850) I can't tell you exactly where the fan control is, only that it is kinda hidden in a few sub-tabs in the control panel itself. I would advise you to have as much air flow over your card as you can audibly stand.

Thanks for referring me to somebody else I appreciate it. I have someone in my family that has a 750w PSU so if they think that's causing the problems
I can try to put it inside mine.

I went to microcenter today and the tech people told me that I could try lowering the resolution on my monitor while playing VR, or I might just have to rely on MSI's terrible customer service to ship me a new graphics card. I'm really hoping I don't have to rely on the last one

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thanks for referring me to somebody else I appreciate it. I have someone in my family that has a 750w PSU so if they think that's causing the problems
I can try to put it inside mine.

I went to microcenter today and the tech people told me that I could try lowering the resolution on my monitor while playing VR, or I might just have to rely on MSI's terrible customer service to ship me a new graphics card. I'm really hoping I don't have to rely on the last one

Not to make excuses, but the 5700's drivers are only 5 months old. I'd like to think that they and their VR support will improve. I hope that they will improve lol! If the 750w is readily available, you may want to try installing it while you wait. No harm in trying it out. (What brand is it btw?)

Synergy34

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
Not to make excuses, but the 5700's drivers are only 5 months old. I'd like to think that they and their VR support will improve. I hope that they will improve lol! If the 750w is readily available, you may want to try installing it while you wait. No harm in trying it out. (What brand is it btw?)

its an EVGA 750w. Not sure the exact model, as he got it 3 years ago. Works just fine though