Question Is My Graphics Card Faulty

Sekab20

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
I have an MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760.
Last night I shut my down and came back to it 3 hours later. When I pressed the power button the power supply clicked on for about half a second and straight off again. The lights to my fans also came on and went straight off.
After that it wouldn't do anything when I preesed the button unless I turned the power off from the wall and then it would do the same clicking on then staright off.

I disconnected the power cables from the graphics card and plugged the dvi cable into the motherboard. The pc powered up but no dsplay until I completely removed the card from the pc. The pc runs fine when the card is removed.

Is it my card or could it be something else.

When the GPU was left in the MB....with the power cables disconnected....I think the motherboard may still possibly have been trying to use the GPU which might be why you got no display.

So I think it's possible it's the GPU.....but I also think it's possible it's the power supply. Plus some of the other things you mentioned....I have seen occur with bad power supplies.

Like this
"When I pressed the power button the power supply clicked on for about half a second and straight off again. "

and this
"After that it wouldn't do anything when I preesed the button unless I turned the power off from the wall and then it would do the same clicking on then staright off. "

Sekab20

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
Sorry for the late reply.

So I managed to get hold of a second hand 1060. I put that in and the pc works again.
Im still a bit sceptical as to whether the card is faulty or if it is the power supply. The reason im not certain is that the 1060 that I have only uses one 6 pin power connector and my old 760 uses a 6 and 8 pin.
So is it possible that the computer only works because the 1060 doesnt need as much of a power draw as the 760 needs?

Also if the card is definitely faulty does anyone know of any indepth guides of how to fault find bad componets on a graphics card using something like a vault meter? Most videos and guides that I have looked at dont show how to test every component. They only tend to aim the guide at the compent that happens to be bad on the card they are demonstrating.