Is my graphics card thermal throttling?

LemonPledge22

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
So I have noticed that my MSI R9 390 has been dropping in frames every 20-25 seconds while in games like Rocket League and The Witcher. So I opened MSI afterburner and ran furmark. And I noticed that my temp got to 94C, and that my gpu usage, as well as my core clock was fluctuating fairly drastically. Is this a hardware problem, and if so should I RMA it while still under warranty, or should I just try reapply new thermal paste and see if that helps?

Solution
Mmk, yeah that's no good, card is probably throttling. unksol is right, what kind of case/how many fans do you have? Also, try monitoring fan speed and make sure it is getting up to 100% when it gets that hot.

You may have to RMA the card.

LemonPledge22

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

I did just that with The Witcher and got the same results.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Mmk, yeah that's no good, card is probably throttling. unksol is right, what kind of case/how many fans do you have? Also, try monitoring fan speed and make sure it is getting up to 100% when it gets that hot.

You may have to RMA the card.

Solution

LemonPledge22

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

My case is a NZXT H440, with very good cable management, and 3 fans in the front. My card's fans do get up to 100% while under load, so I think I may just have to RMA the card.