Is my gtx 760 a bad overclocker, need advice!

Ben Agg

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Got my MSI gaming gtx 760 and went to overclock it, I am using heaven 4.0 as my benchmark. Installed the latest drivers, latest afterburner and using windows 8.1 pro I know every card is different but online and in all reviews I see everybody getting well over 100mhz overclock on the clock. The lowest I saw was +107mhz and the max around 150/160mhz. I went for +12MV (the max) and also set my power limit linked with temperature (prioritizing power limit) to +140 and temp to 95 degrees linked (for testing) auto fan speed , leaving memory untouched.

First time round the maximum I could get was +75mhz before I was getting artifacts and crashes I played around with different settings for a good hour or two before deciding to reinstall the drivers and reseat the gfx card. After doing this I can get a stable +90mhz but I am wondering about a couple of things. I am running heaven 4.0 at max everything with 8x AA and since reseating and reinstalling I never get artifacts or even crashes when I attempt higher clocks but a big drop in min fps, from being +14 on 90mhz to +6/+7 at 100ish.

I also read somewhere people were saying to make sure you turn of super sampling in the nvidia control panel (not sure where or how to do this so maybe this is on). I feel like the card can be pushed much further, temperatures never get over 72degrees on load and its only at 40% fan speed.

Is heaven realistic for finding my overclocks or should I be using in game benchmarks until I get artifacts/crashes?

On a seperate note my boost clock never gets above 1.2ghz infact thats the absolute maximum I can get even running theif / metro / heaven benchmarks is 1189.9mhz (gpu-z) which just seems so odd considering I have seen reviews of guys getting over 1.3ghz with boost.

The rest of my system.

AMD 8320
Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
corsair CX 750w bronze.

Any insight would be great!

Ben.

Ben Agg

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Hmm I can manage a stable overclock on thief benchmark at 100/110mhz just not in heaven (same place it always crashes) I think I will get more games and bench them all / play them all so they are stable. Even still though is 1.2ghz boost clock considered low? saw so many benches at 1.3ghz+