Is my GTX 960 stopping me from burning DVDs?

Jezz2k

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Burnaware causes a BSOD every time I attempt to write. The BSOD error referred to an NVIDIA dll (I think).

CDBurnerXP causes my system to lag horrendously shortly after starting the burn process and won't close. I had to force it to close via the Task Manager, but the lag remained until I rebooted.

Ashampoo gets as far as closing the session and attempting to writing the lead out, but somehow causes the drive to become unmounted along with one of my hard drives (always the same hard drive each time), leaving the lead-out process to never end.

My case is a full-size tower, with five of the six 5.25" bays fitted with vents for passive cooling. I'll probably re-attach the fans to those vents though, as it still gets pretty hot when gaming. However, my old XP build got hotter than this and that never affected DVD burning.

My system:
Windows 7 SP1 (dual-booting with XP)
GA-X79-UD3
16GB RAM
GTX 960
Antivirus: Avast

I can't help with specifics, but way back when I'd burn discs my most common causes for problems were trying to burn at too high a speed, and using poor quality discs. Just because your dvd burner might be rated for 8x speeds, and the discs are rated for 8x speeds, does not mean you can burn the disc at that speed. When you get a new batch of discs, try using a slow speed for your first burn. If it works, then raise speeds to the next highest speed for your next burn. Eventually you'll find the speed that works best for you.

Poor quality discs are cheap, which makes them tempting, but they can be unpredictable. Finally, if you're copying things that are protected, that can cause wasted discs when it doesn't work.

Jezz2k

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Thanks but that isn't the cause. I don't buy cheap discs and the speed makes no difference. I also should mention that I've been burning discs for over 15 years.