Build Advice Is my h100i V2 or PSU slowly dying?

spledang

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
SPECS
PC: 1950X THREADRIPPER
MOBO: MSI Pro Carbon
AIO Cooler: h100i V2
GPU: GTX 1080 TI
RAM: Corsair set to 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM850X

So I've had a Threadripper 1950x for a little over a year and a half and I don't have much of a history overclocking. The first 9 months I probably just upped my Ram speeds from 2100 to 2999 and that was as far as I'd go for any overclocking. The 6 months after, I decided I want to at least experiment with it. I googled videos and looked at forum threads to see what other people were trying as a start and I began at around 1.300voltage for OCing and went to 3.7ghz for core speed. I did the whole step by step increments to 3.8 to 4.0 and then slowly upped voltages. I was then satisfied at 3.70ghz at like 1.300-1350 ish which I later found out was a lot higher than what I should've been using. Now my temperatures have been really high as of recent. Even if I'm just browsing or idle they are at high 40s to mid 50s. While gaming its 58-66 (Apex Legends as of recent) and if I turn on my stream it's gone up to 75. For those who are going to say it's not a processor for gaming I already know... I built this because I edit 4k footage for weddings on it or other side gigs. Anyways, I had this problem back in late January and I thought the problem was thermal paste. I put on new Arctic MX4 (might've been not enough) It fixed the temps problem for about 2-4weeks and now it's gone crazy on Ryzen Master. I can't even change the core clocks, voltages or anything on that app. I'm not sure what it is but it starts up at 3.7ghz and 3.9 is core boost while the voltages are fluctuating from 1.350 to 1.430 or higher. SO I then tried to mess with the bios manually changed the core speed to 3.4ghz and adjusted the voltages to 1.100 and it's been okay for the time being. My idle temps were at 44C yesterday and even during a stream the hottest it would get to is 66C. I think even those temps some may say its STILL too hot. Today when I turned on my PC the temps were immediately at 51C then while having my game and streaming it peeks at 75C. These are temps all read through HWInfo, HWMonitor, RyzenMaster and CoreTemp. One thing I noticed though was my voltage and coretemps were not consistently at 3.40ghz and 1.1v. It would adjust and lower itself based on what was happening on my computer. It would adjust itself to as low as 2.60ghz and voltages would drop to as low as 0.900. Now, my questions are...

1. Do I buy a new heatsink/cooler (or RMA) if applying new thermal paste doesn't work? I just bought 2 sets of Arctic MX4.
  2. Do I buy a new power supply because it's possibly not powering my system up?
  3. My H100i v2 cooler has been making this weird sound where the fans are rattling every few seconds (nothing is touching it). Does anyone know why this is possibly happening and how do I go about cleaning an AIO like the H100i V2?
  4. How do I reset everything as far as core speeds go? Ryzen Master I thought was the way to go because I could test the voltages and core speeds through it but now I regret using it because it forces a core speed or 3.7 and voltages are bouncing off the walls and uninstalling doesn't do anything. I reset the CMOS and BIOS says it's set to 3.4 but when I get to the start screen it still says 3.7ghz with core boost of 3.9ghz. I've read other threads and I couldn't find an answer on this. The only way to get by those speeds is manually entering 34 into core speed through BIOS.
Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Question 3 I found through some random youtube video comment that if I put my tower on its side panel the noise goes away because some air bubbles? I have no clue what that meant honestly but it worked.

Last edited:

spledang

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Moving the radiator to the front helped cool it. Now getting Idle temps of 40s and if browsing 50s with anything else on load 60s. I'm using pull configuration on the fans at the FRONT of the case but it's set BEHIND the radiator and so I'm not sure if I should keep it that way or if it should be moved to the front of the case and pulling air by blowing into the radiator instead.

robert123456

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Intel CPUs have a Tcase or Tjunction value in the specifications, I am not familiar with AMD though.

You might want to find out the maximum temperature for your particular CPU.

Another thing to bare in mind when Overclocking isn't only Vcore but also whether your voltage is manual or Adaptive. In the latter case, it will fluctuate depending on operation, and VDroop will be more evident.

60c under load is freezing for the high-end Intel chips, particularly under stress when the CPU is overclocked, so it might not be too high a temperature. But, as I said, I have no familiarity with AMD and Ryzen chips.

To reset your BIOS there should be a "factory settings" option. If not, you can do it by moving a jumper cap on your motherboard.