Question Is My Hard Drive Dead??? Unknown Device, Not Initialized...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Is there any way to "fix" one of my storage hard drives?

It was literally working fine till this morning.

It doesn't show up in file explorer at all.

It shows up in device manager under the Disk Drives tab as "unknown device" (although it does say, This device is working properly).

In the Disk Management utility in Windows, it says that the drive must be initialized. (It says, Disk 1 Unknown)

I downloaded the free version of Partition Wizard, but it doesn't show up at all in Partition Wizard.

Of course, it is not backed up :(

(Also, since this is a dual boot windows / linux machine, I did boot up in to Fedora and the drive did not show up).

Thanks in advance. My life would be a lot better if I could figure out what is wrong

The disk that is having problems is a Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004

The date of manufacture is 15 Feb 2019

I tried running Seatools (I guess that is Seagates utility for their drives) and unfortunately it doesn't get listed.

Is it possibly a bad driver issue??? The driver is Microsoft 10.0.19041.1865 and the driver date is listed as 6/21/2006

Win 10 64-bit Home
15-13600K
Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4
32GB Ram (teamforce zeuss)
850 Watt PSU: MSI MPG A850GF Gaming Power Supply - Full Modular - 80 PLUS Gold Certified 850Watts
RTX 2060 Super

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

So does that mean that it is (physically) working but the partition tables are corrupted?
No. That specific report can only tell you that the driver (software only) is reporting that it is functioning normally and has received what it is looking for from the hardware (normally just a "I'm powered up" signal). Nothing beyond that can be deduced from there.

Reactions: My PC Hates Me

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
No. That specific report can only tell you that the driver (software only) is reporting that it is functioning normally and has received what it is looking for from the hardware (normally just a "I'm powered up" signal). Nothing beyond that can be deduced from there.

OK, thank you.

Would you agree with @SkyNetRising assertion that the drive is dead (based on the unreported capacity in Disk Management)?

Status
Not open for further replies.