[SOLVED] Is my hard drive failing?

Solution
Yeah, not looking great. You've had it for what, two or three years?

I say time to back up your data at a minimum. I've seen drives last for years after they started reporting issues, they just keep reallocating bad sectors and slowly shrinking.

Check your warranty, might be covered. Though you are likely to get a refurbished drive on any RMA, and I've basically given up on getting worthwhile ones.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I say time to back up your data at a minimum. I've seen drives last for years after they started reporting issues, they just keep reallocating bad sectors and slowly shrinking.

Check your warranty, might be covered. Though you are likely to get a refurbished drive on any RMA, and I've basically given up on getting worthwhile ones.

Solution
Dec 1, 2020

3 years, december 2017 is when I got it. any recommendations on a drive?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not exactly any recommendations. Only like 3 hard disk manufacturers left. Pretty much stick Seagate and WD myself.

You can check Backblaze reports for some statistics, at least on what to avoid. However, it is best to keep in mind that they use consumer drives for enterprise solutions. Cramming dozens of drives in large chassis.

USAFRet

Titan
Not exactly any recommendations. Only like 3 hard disk manufacturers left. Pretty much stick Seagate and WD myself.

You can check Backblaze reports for some statistics, at least on what to avoid. However, it is best to keep in mind that they use consumer drives for enterprise solutions. Cramming dozens of drives in large chassis.
And even among BackBlaze reports, there is only a 1 or 2 percentage point either way. Except for a specific outlier.
https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

I have seen a spinning drive at work have a few reallocated sector type errors in CrystalDiskInfo, go to yellow health status, etc., same as yours, but, the drive still worked seemingly fine for 2 full years after that, running 24/7.

But, in your case, I'd sure be 'less trusting' of the drive once the status shown occurs.