[SOLVED] Is My Hard Drive on It's Way Out?

Sep 22, 2019
I have a Lenovo Ideacentre 710 desktop that I'm concerned about after a regular hardware scan came up with some errors I've not had before. It showed that the following three tests failed:

Targeted Read Test Failed
SMART Short Self Test Failed
SMART Drive Self Test Failed

I did some searching and found that this is generally not a good thing, and used CrystalDiskInfo after seeing it mentioned, and it came up with this reading View: https://imgur.com/a/qWRyP4R

I haven't had this PC very long which is really irritating if it's already wearing out, and I would like some feedback as to how serious it is at this point and what I should do. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Glad to hear you are already using backups.

The drive has 8 failed sectors and needs to retest 8 more (Pending).

Since it is a prebuilt and likely to be out of warranty with them, replacing the HDD will be at your cost.
You might consider an SSD with 1tb's going for about $110
or Internal 1tb HDD's going for about $45
and your SSHD (Firecuda) going for $60
When you say you haven't the PC long, what do you mean? The hardware is about 5 years old. In terms of mechanical hard drives, that is long, and it's not uncommon for drives to fail or start clicking (which means it's close to on he way out).

You could try a few simple things like error checking and defragging the drive. Have you got a back up just in case? Might be an idea to look at that anyway, even if the drive lasts longer as is.

Sep 22, 2019
When you say you haven't the PC long, what do you mean? The hardware is about 5 years old. In terms of mechanical hard drives, that is long, and it's not uncommon for drives to fail or start clicking (which means it's close to on he way out).

You could try a few simple things like error checking and defragging the drive. Have you got a back up just in case? Might be an idea to look at that anyway, even if the drive lasts longer as is.
It's a pre-built PC bought at a discount price around April of 2017 from Best Buy.
I do have a portable external hard drive that I use for backup regularly, as well as my previous PC which is eleven years old by now, but it lasted me all that time and still ran relatively well except for some slowdown.
Not that I'd fall back on it for serious use, but it's nice to still have it. The only reason I got this new PC is because I'd mentioned to my dad how old my previous one was and he decided to get me a more up-to-date one as a late birthday present.

popatim

Titan
Glad to hear you are already using backups.

The drive has 8 failed sectors and needs to retest 8 more (Pending).

Since it is a prebuilt and likely to be out of warranty with them, replacing the HDD will be at your cost.
You might consider an SSD with 1tb's going for about $110
or Internal 1tb HDD's going for about $45
and your SSHD (Firecuda) going for $60

Solution