Is my hard drive or power supply going out?

Alexander_62

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
Recently my computer has been having a few issues that I think I've narrowed it down to either my hard drive or my psu. Disclaimer: I am definitely not an expert at this sort of thing, so of I'm incorrect about anything please correct me. The problem started with my computer not loading windows sometimes upon powering on. Sometimes it'd load up the hp start screen over and over, and other times it wouldn't even load that. The computer had power for sure, the lights on the inside and on my keyboard lit up, but it just wouldn't progress further than that. That's what makes me think it's my psu, but at the same time I'm also experiencing some issues with one of my hard drives. Sometimes it takes a while for it to spin up: I'll try to open it up in explorer and I can hear it start spinning, then a few clicks and it'll finally load. The process is about 2-3 seconds. While those are both issues, I'm not sure if they're related because I have my os on a different hard drive. At first I thought it wasn't getting enough power, but it had been working just fine before, and even after unplugging the optical drive to see if I could lighten the load a little, the problem still persists.

Specs in question are two 1TB wd black HDD's, one 2TB wd black HDD, and a Lepa n500 psu

Alexander_62

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

Sorry for the late reply, but I ran the extended test on the drive in question after being skeptical of the pass on the quick test. It came back as a fail, and when I clicked "repair" it said it was unable to repair. Upon comparing the results with the txt file that came with the software, it's saying "read sector failure"

Alexander_62

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

Should I do so even though the OS is on a different drive? The drive in question has nothing significant on it, it's all videos that can be re-downloaded, while the OS is on a different, newer drive. Should I just replace the drive in question that failed the test then?