Question Is my hard drive supposed to be making a noise

Sep 26, 2019
I've recently built a PC of my own and everything worked first time i started the Rig up, however I've noticed that my hdd (2tb 3.5 inch barracuda) has been making a low scratching sound. any idea if this is normal?

I've recently built a PC of my own and everything worked first time i started the Rig up, however I've noticed that my hdd (2tb 3.5 inch barracuda) has been making a low scratching sound. any idea if this is normal?
Generally HDs make noise. Some are louder than others. Many times they make a low scratching sound. Without hearing it.....it's hard for me to say if it's normal.

....and in general.....when I hear sound clips people post...it's hard to draw any conclusions.

Sep 26, 2019
Generally HDs make noise. Some are louder than others. Many times they make a low scratching sound. Without hearing it.....it's hard for me to say if it's normal.

....and in general.....when I hear sound clips people post...it's hard to draw any conclusions.
It's more of a time to time scratch it may just be the hdd making normal noises but i just loaded up a game and noticed the hdd started making a very high pitched noise is that normal? also is there any way i could upload a sound file or video?

I'm not sure if you can upload it directly here.....but you can upload it somewhere else and link to it.
....but as I said.....I haven't had much luck listening to them....plus my hearing sucks.

That being said....I've heard hard drives make quite a few different noises and one thing for sure is....they don't all sound the same.

One thing you could do is run a diagnostic on the drive.

There are lots of free tools to do this with.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183

Sep 26, 2019
I'm not sure if you can upload it directly here.....but you can upload it somewhere else and link to it.
....but as I said.....I haven't had much luck listening to them....plus my hearing sucks.

That being said....I've heard hard drives make quite a few different noises and one thing for sure is....they don't all sound the same.

One thing you could do is run a diagnostic on the drive.

There are lots of free tools to do this with.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183
I'll take your advice and keep an eye on my system. Thank you for your help jay :D.

I'll take your advice and keep an eye on my system. Thank you for your help jay :D.
You're welcome.
My gut feeling is that it's a normal noise.

By the way though....do you backup clone your drive?
If not....I would recommend it.
Just get another hard drive (they are super cheap now).....and every so often....clone your main drive to it.
This way.....if anything happens to your current drive....or even a virus....or Windows gets screwed up by an update....or ANYTHING.....you can go back to a previous state.

Sep 26, 2019
You're welcome.
My gut feeling is that it's a normal noise.

By the way though....do you backup clone your drive?
If not....I would recommend it.
Just get another hard drive (they are super cheap now).....and every so often....clone your main drive to it.
This way.....if anything happens to your current drive....or even a virus....or Windows gets screwed up by an update....or ANYTHING.....you can go back to a previous state.
Will do that now. i will also run some extra diagnostics on the hdd to make sure! and if the issues persist and the hdd slows at all i may consider getting a replacement just to be on the safe side.