Is my harddrive failing?

bcradw

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
I just had my laptop repaired because it was running extremely hot and I'm worried that the over heating may have casued damage to my harddrive and other components

Here's a screen capture of the SMART test for the harddrive

Harddrive-1.jpg

Thanks!!

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I doubt it is failing if you are basing that reasoning on the temperature alone. That is the normal operating temperature for a HDD especially if it is under sustained load. Laptops tend to run hot anyway especially if they have been placed in a position where they gather dust internally or have the cooling vents blocked.

bcradw

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not basing it solely on the operating temp--I was also looking at the reallocated sectors count, Ultra DMA Error Count, uncorrectable sector count, and a couple other tests that are shown in the screen capture.

As for the operating temp its at 44 degrees with nothing else open except for Norton and a cpl other applications running in the background and my web browser--I had a new fan installed yesterday and I'm using the laptop on top of a cooling fan

Wamphryi

Distinguished
True. I can just make out the readings and there does seem to be some kind of issue there. The temp is fine I believe but the HDD could well be ready to fail. Make sure your data is backed up. Try going to the HDD manufacturers website and download the diagnostic program they often provide. That should tell you one way or the other.

bcradw

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks a lot for you help!!!! I've got my data backed up already because the idiots at Dell thought that reformatting my computer to the factory image would solve all the issues that I've been having with this laptop lol

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
topmost 16 bits = total number of seek errors
bottom 32 bits = total number of seeks

Therefore the Seek Error Rate is equal to ...

(total number of seek errors) / (total number of seeks)

Seagate drives appear to begin life with an assumed SER of 1 error in 1 million seeks. This equates to a normalised attribute value of 60. If the drive's SER improves, then this value increases, otherwise it falls.

The normalised attribute appears to follow a logarithmic pattern:

90% = < 1 error per 1000 million seeks
80% = < 1 error per 100 million
70% = < 1 error per 10 million
60% = < 1 error per million
50% = 10 errors per million
40% = 100 errors per million
30% = 1000 errors per million

Your current value is 100 which is FAR better than 1 error per million but worse than 1 error per 10 million.

Your drive is healthy hence why SMART shows a "Good" status. Always backup your data though regardless.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Token seems more informed in this matter than myself. The status does seem to be good and the reported temperature is also good according to the program. Just make sure your Data is backed up and keep an eye on it. As I said you can download Seagate's Diagnostics Program to confirm the situation.