Question Is my Hardrive failing, or do i have some sort of virus?

Jun 13, 2022
So after a while of using my computer, within the hour or sometimes longer, my hardrive gets errors like "a device which does not exist was specified" when trying to move or access certain folders (not all) or when scanning my drive for issues it fails to even scan the drive's errors.

Once i restart my computer the cycle continues, i use my compuer regularly and then some of the folders just are unusable. Not really sure what's happening and i need to know if i can do anything, or if i just have to replace the hardrive

So after a while of using my computer, within the hour or sometimes longer, my hardrive gets errors like "a device which does not exist was specified" when trying to move or access certain folders (not all) or when scanning my drive for issues it fails to even scan the drive's errors.

Once i restart my computer the cycle continues, i use my compuer regularly and then some of the folders just are unusable. Not really sure what's happening and i need to know if i can do anything, or if i just have to replace the hardrive
First thin would be to check it's health status, Use program like Crystal disk info

my hardrive gets errors like "a device which does not exist was specified" when trying to move or access certain folders (not all) or when scanning my drive for issues it fails to even scan the drive's errors.
What model drive?
Is it primary OS drive? Secondary storage drive?

Diagnose the drive. Use HDtune health. Post screenshot (upload to imgur.com and post link).
Try changing SATA cables first (if that is SATA drive).
then some of the folders just are unusable. Not really sure what's happening and i need to know if i can do anything, or if i just have to replace the hardrive
File system corruption. Run chkdsk on the drive to fix file system errors.
Note - in some situations chkdsk can cause data loss.
If there is physical damage, then replace the drive.

Jun 13, 2022
First thin would be to check it's health status, Use program like Crystal disk info
Not too sure how i should be reading these numbers, but basically i should take this to mean it's relatively okay, i just need to replace it before there is catastrophic failure?

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/198400256@N02/52927340325/in/dateposted-public/

Jun 13, 2022
This is a secondary D drive?
If so, just copy to some other storage device.

And do not grab ALL of it at once to copy. Do this in sections.
Yeah, just a secondary storage hdd.
I did run into a small error earlier when trying to move even 1 folder (didn't try all) it just froze the transfer at like 15%, am i to assume that i won't be able to back up that particular folder?? and continue trying with all the other folders?

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, just a secondary storage hdd.
I did run into a small error earlier when trying to move even 1 folder (didn't try all) it just froze the transfer at like 15%, am i to assume that i won't be able to back up that particular folder?? and continue trying with all the other folders?
Not 'move'....Copy and paste.

But yeah...sounds like it is already failing.