i upgraded from:
4gb ram ddr2
core 2 quad
gts 250 1gb

to:
8 gb ddr3
i5 3.4ghz
r9 290 tri x oc

no HDD upgrade (one is 2yr 2TB [main] and other ~5yr SATA 500gig hdds [for media and static stuff])

so i didnt see any "JAW DROPPING"/UBER SMOOTH/BUTTERY MOTION of windows while dragging or Reduced startup time for programs like Chrome, firefox , After effects CS5 , heck even win explorer. all i saw was improvement in games. i had to 'wait' for the program to start. even if my ram usage hardly goes above 40%.
CPU usage is also not much. then why is it slow ?

Startup times are disappointing. no improvements there either. can barely use 3 startup programes if i want instant access, else i have to wait like a min or so to actually start working on the pc after log on .
startup programs:keyscrambler, eset,ai suite , AMD CCC, IDM. thats ALL.
is this normal or is my hdd bottlenecking it...or ...just my imagination? O_O help.

Solution
With the parts you upgraded you shouldn't expect to see the improvement you mentioned. If you want faster load times then getting a SSD will greatly improve what you described. If you want buttery smooth window movements when dragging you will need a high refresh rate monitor.
With the parts you upgraded you shouldn't expect to see the improvement you mentioned. If you want faster load times then getting a SSD will greatly improve what you described. If you want buttery smooth window movements when dragging you will need a high refresh rate monitor.

Solution

Mr D

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

please re read , i made some edits.

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
It is possible for your HDD to slow down some areas of your PC but not all that you've stated. Start up times and and some loading times, but HDDs don't play to many roles for PCs performance wise.

Whats is the model and brand of your HDD?

Mr D

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

one is WDC the 2TB one and the other is of Hitachi

Then you will definitely enjoy adding an SSD to your machine. It will reduce startup times and you will be able to launch multiple applications almost instantly.

Mr D

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

arent ssds limited by the amount of writes?like writing to them reduce their life?
also i saw some vids on youtube that although it doesnt 'increase' ingame fps, it does makes them more stable. is this true ?
if yes then i might get one, else i will stick to hibernating it and jumpstarting it. its not as fast as i want, but i would prefer pros vs price here.

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

This is true but it will simply just brush over the problem rather than fixing it. The is no reason that his PC should run slower than mine and he has better hardware. I'm only using a Seagate 250gb and my full start up time is about 1 minute. It is really up to the OP if he wants to try and fix the problem or just get some new equipment

Mr D

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

well , if anyone can help me out , i will be more than happy .i dont wanna add more stuff unreasonalbly. but if its unsolvable, then i am left with not choice, painstaking as it may be.
i mean , i should be able to run like 7-8 startup applications on this kinda build with minimum performance hit ryt?

You will need to do an incredible amount of writing to the hard drive before you start to notice any kind of degradation. If the game you are playing reads from the hard drive to load on the fly you could potentially see a more stable gaming experience but I would expect those occasions to be rare.

Generally once you are in the game you will not see any improvement from an SSD but if you play a game where you are transitioning between zones or have map load times between sessions (like some first person shooter games) the reduced load time is really nice.

With a conventional platter hard drive it will take a good bit of time to use your desktop from start up if you have it loading 8 different applications. If you have the money I highly recommend an SSD, it seems like you would benefit greatly from it.

Mr D

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

recommend me some SSD with higher read speeds, write speeds dont matter (i am assuming dem write speed to be faster than platter drives )

Mr D

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
i just removed my previous HDD . currently running on the newer one (5yr old lol) 2tb WD cavier green . wd20earx model . the thing is, loading times have improved, but i am still expiriencing some minor hiccups by my rig while gaming. another thread i guess.

TRENDING THREADS