Question Is my HDD and SSD bad?

pcxn00b

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
my hardware -
msi tomahawk mag b550 (ms-7c91)
smbios version 2.8
bios mode UEFI
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-32GVK
amd ryzen 9 5900x
windows 10 home unlicensed - windows feature experience pack 120.2212.4170.0
nvidia geforce rtx 2060 super
ST6000VN0033-2EE110 6TB HDD
WD Green SN350 1TB SDD
EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W, Semi Modular PSU

HDD with issues -
Seagate barracuda 2tb ST2000DM008
Samsung 860 evo 500gb model MZ-76E500

All drives included the 1 that was 6tb and currently works, all worked in my old build where I replaced my motherboard msi tomahawk b450, psu CORSAIR CX-M Series CX550M 80+ BRONZE, processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X and ram Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) to current hardware.

After my computer was built 2 of my drives didn't show up under bios and my computer booted straight up to bios and then with brand new sata cables on the drives went to a black screen where we determined we need to install windows os to a usb thumb drive to use my computer. My knowledgable friend who built my computer did update bios for the motherboard to work with my processor.
I'm am trying to get my windows key off my internal ssd that had windows os on it with Produkey and want to view some files but can't access the drive. I used a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP and 6TB] (EC-DFFN) to plug my internal drives into external to view files. Both of my drives show up as unknown and with no storage size in disk management. The drives has no letter. When I try to intialize the disk I get "The request failed due to fatal device hardware error" message. However under diskpart in cmd both drives show status of ok. I've gone through numerous fixes I read online and watched on youtube and none work. The only fix I haven't tried which I saw on youtube is opening up my drive to move the spindle that spins/reads the disk. I've tried numerous data recovery software that all fail to show my drive. I've also tried two different computers when plugging in my internal drive reader to use externally. If my drive is supposed to make some kind of noise when its plugged in, its not.

What went wrong here? What should I do next besides paying hundreds of dollars to a data recovery place that might be able to get my data back. I have an Idrive subscription and I think most of my data backed up there besides the files that failed to. I am also looking to obtain that windows 10 key from there as this is also expensive and why pay when I have a valid key.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not do this:

"The only fix I haven't tried which I saw on youtube is opening up my drive to move the spindle that spins/reads the disk."

That fix will not work and the drive will be forever ruined and all data likewise lost forever as well.

Data recovery, if even possible, will be extremely expensive.

Leave the drive alone and sealed.

= = = =

New build and you are attempting to move old build drives directly into the new build?

Does the following link provide the applicable User Manual for your motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB550TOMAHAWK.pdf

Do verify that I found the correct manual.

Two immediate thoughts:

1) RAM installation - was the first RAM module installed in DIMMA2 per physically numbered Page 15 of the manual?

2) SATA: Are the installed components in compliance with the M.2 slots and PCIe slots combination table on Page 16?

Even if you did both 1. and 2. the problem is beyond just components and connections.

For the most part the upgrade process you appear to be attempting requires a clean Windows install.

Here is how the clean install should be done:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

Hopefully what you have attempted thus far has not destroyed the data on the drives - not sure about what all has been done and in what order.

pcxn00b

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Yes correct manual. 1. yes 2. yes. We did a clean install on my brand new ssd with a thumb drive. I don't remember the exact order of the ssd and hdd on my old build but the first hdd was the 6tb one that works. I don't know if it has something to do with that hdd being newer than the other ssd and hdd. But if this hdd was in first order on my new build why would the 2nd and 3rd fail?

pcxn00b

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
No, however I forgot to mention my computer started smoking from my cd drive. So we unplugged it and I bought a new one. Don't know if this is related to my hdd and sdd but I will say they were pretty dusty. So maybe dust caused smoke with my cd drive.

pcxn00b

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
These asus dvd drives are known to cause fires and all. I just find the timing of replacing parts for my new build odd for my asus drive to act up then.

Last edited: