Question Is my HDD bad?

Jan 19, 2020
Hello,
I'm not much of a pc tech person but 2 days ago i bought an additional HDD for my pc, installed some games on it, so far seems to be doing great but when i launched one of those games installed in the new HDD, the game menu would load up just fine but after loading in the game my PC would shut down without a warning, Frames were stable, Temps were fine (I even opened my case and put my hand close to it and didn't feel any heat)

In order to have my pc turn back on i had to turn off my PSU, unplug my PC and then plug it back in and turn the PSU back on because the Power button would not work. So at first i thought it was my PSU. This would ONLY happen after launching a game. I could browse the internet, watch some youtube videos, do some work on Illustrator and Photoshop and it would not shut down.
Today i decided to launch a game that is installed on a different HDD. I launched Red dead redemption 2 and i've been playing it for like 50min and my pc is still running just fine.

Is my PSU bad or is it my HDD? How can i fix this?

Your HDD maker will have a diagnostic utility that you should run.
WD is data lifeguard.
Seagate is seatools.

If the hdd shows up bad, return it under warranty.

And... consider using a ssd instead, particularly for windows.
SSD prices are down and you will be amazed at how quick everything is.

Reactions: mkaafy
Jan 19, 2020
WD is data lifeguard.
Seagate is seatools.

Thank you, i'll give Seatools a try and let you know!

Jan 19, 2020
WD is data lifeguard.
Seagate is seatools.

So i did a SDT (Short Drive Self Test) it passed, i did a S.M.A.R.T Test and it also passed. I went to My Pc, right clicked my HDD, clicked on the Tools tab and used their Error Checking option, no errors were found.