Question Is my HDD dead?

Mar 6, 2021
No obvious signs of of failing or dying before. I turned on my computer today to realize that it is missing. I've confirmed it is connected properly for data and power. I'm not really sure what else I can try.

Here's a screenshot of partition and device manager it's the 1tb hdd that is marked missing/failed. Note that the drive was roughly 650gb/1tb used and now it is reporting 100% free space. Should I be planning a trip to micro center for a drive replacement soon?

partition manager

I had one report issues in the smart status for 4 years, and recently it died, prevented the PC from even booting sometimes, I was able to get lucky and get my data off of it, although nothing important, it just saved me having to do more work to get it back.

I tore it apart for the magnets, in fact I got them on my metal 10 port tplink switch which I stuck to the side of my server case, works well.

But yes, time to get a new one, if you keep valuable data on it, at the vary least, keep 2 copies of it, on 2 different drives, preferably not in the same system or even location which I fail that part, but its life I guess.

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
No obvious signs of of failing or dying before. I turned on my computer today to realize that it is missing. I've confirmed it is connected properly for data and power. I'm not really sure what else I can try.

Here's a screenshot of partition and device manager it's the 1tb hdd that is marked missing/failed. Note that the drive was roughly 650gb/1tb used and now it is reporting 100% free space. Should I be planning a trip to micro center for a drive replacement soon?

partition manager
If it's under warranty then you should tell them the issue and get replacement.

Try plugging it in another SATA port or other Machine.

Please take a back up of your files that can't be ever produced/downloaded from internet.
(Personal photos, documents etc)

Use Crystal Disk Info to see any issues.

It's scary to suddenly see 100% free disk space.
You sure you don't have any viruses/malwares on your machine.