[SOLVED] Is my HDD dying? (Trying to interpret hdd scan data)

Oct 6, 2019
Hi everyone,
Right now I'm troubleshooting a few problems with my Laptop and found that it might be due to a failing HDD (like freezing when I try to "save as" or when I start any VPN app and on some other random occasions). I installed GSmart Control but I'm a bit helpless with all the data the program gives me. So I hope someone can make an educated guess if my HDD really is failing. The whole Laptop with all components is around 5 years old.

https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/10/6/f6bec325f4120d96e02e9dfc0011249e-full.jpg
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/10/6/0cdea9bdb5323ab943427e893b562e44-full.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Cheers,
Jake

Last edited:
Solution
The Current Pending Sectors attribute is indicating that there are 6 bad sectors which are waiting to be replaced with spares.

The raw value of the Raw Read Error Rate attribute should ideally be 0, so this is indicating that the drive is starting to become unreliable.

I would backup your data and consider replacing the drive, or at least zero-fill the drive and reformat it … after backing up your data, of course.
The Current Pending Sectors attribute is indicating that there are 6 bad sectors which are waiting to be replaced with spares.

The raw value of the Raw Read Error Rate attribute should ideally be 0, so this is indicating that the drive is starting to become unreliable.

I would backup your data and consider replacing the drive, or at least zero-fill the drive and reformat it … after backing up your data, of course.

Solution

popatim

Titan
It's my understanding that Pending Sectors means the drive had trouble reading those sectors and has scheduled a test of them. From the issue you describe it does sound like the drive is beginning to have trouble reading and writing.

A high read error rate 'raw value' is normal on a Seagate drive from my experience, you can check it again and again and it will jump all over the place.

Did you get those errors on your last screen shot by running a test, maybe an ex tended surface scan test. after the post of the SMART output? If so then please post a new SMART for us.

Oct 6, 2019
I just repeated the the diagnostic and now the raw value is a bit higher. After a few more times the value seemed to stay fairly consistant.

Another issue I forgot to mention is that, quite often, the Task manager shows 100% disk utilisation even though it's not working on something (visibly).

Referring to your question: I got the error codes without running any test. It seems like they are just from a windows error log. The oldest of them is around 300 days old. (I hope I understood your question right)

TRENDING THREADS