Is my HDD dying? What is this noise?

Guana

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
My HDD has been making this sound for a while, mostly right after startup (When I come to the desktop and programs are starting.) and when I open certain programs. For example when I open battle.net and start WoW, this sound is constant and is pretty loud. When I exit those programs, the sound lowers and some minutes after, the sound is nearly gone. Recently the sound has gotten worse and more consistent.

I found a youtube clip with the exact same sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yBeRfc49U

Solution

Your drives are alright. It's nortmal operational sound. If you want silence, get 5400RPM drives, especially if you have an SSD for Windows. High speed 7200RPM HDDs are not required for media storage.

EDIT: you should be looking at the "raw values", and they are 0.
Will die soon. Use as little as possible and buy a drive as big or bigger, then use a cloning software to make a bootable rescue DVD/usb and clone your old drive to the new one. This minimizes risk of failure while copying the old drive as when you clone a drive the head only makes a single constant move instead of going back and forth.

Guana

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Both of those are larger than 0 on all my drives though
Yp8lH4v.png

Guana

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Windows is on my SSD. Can I not just copy the drive over to an external one and then copy back to a new HDD?

Your drives are alright. It's nortmal operational sound. If you want silence, get 5400RPM drives, especially if you have an SSD for Windows. High speed 7200RPM HDDs are not required for media storage.

EDIT: you should be looking at the "raw values", and they are 0.

Solution