Is my HDD dying?

kostas1127

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2015
So i checked my HDD with HDD sentintel and my ssd was 30 degrees celcius with 95% health and it said that it had 900 days left so it means that in 900 days it will die?
also the temps of my hdds was caviar blue 500gb-41 degrees toshiba 1tb 39 degrees
AMBIENT TEMP 35 degrees

Solution

30 to 41C HDD temps with 35C ambient temperature are to be expected, they can get even hotter at lower ambient temps, so don't worry about those readings... 95% health is good and you didn't mention performance but it should be at 100% (right?)... you also didn't mention bad sectors so the scan probably didn't find any.

And 900 days (2.5 years) is an estimation not a prediction, and it can remain the same for a long time so don't take it in a negative way but...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I am unsure how HDD sentinel comes by that number, it could be a factor of each cells read/write totals over a given period, or it could be just counting down from the estimated life expectancy of the drive like a clock.

I view them as a heads up. Be aware the drive is ageing. keep a backup, as you should for all your drives regardless of age.

30 to 41C HDD temps with 35C ambient temperature are to be expected, they can get even hotter at lower ambient temps, so don't worry about those readings... 95% health is good and you didn't mention performance but it should be at 100% (right?)... you also didn't mention bad sectors so the scan probably didn't find any.

And 900 days (2.5 years) is an estimation not a prediction, and it can remain the same for a long time so don't take it in a negative way but quite the opposite.

More related info here:
Hard Disk Sentinel Help - Power on time
http://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/54_pot.html

Solution