[SOLVED] is my hdd dying ?

xJesserX

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
hey , so today i installed crystal disk info and i got this results
1GyaiHU.png

i was planning to add this hdd to a new pc build with a 500 gb ssd ( for windows ) and the hdd il use it to store games , i didn't have any problem with it before and either now before the new build and i want to know is it ok if use it ? if yes how long will it hold

Solution
No. Reallocation wouldn't even exist at all if you could repair it. As long as you don't care if you lose the files, use it however you'd like.
Yes kinda. It's getting closer to its death. It's fine to use but it's running out of extra sectors to replace bad sectors. By the looks of the numbers it's more than 5 years old. It could die the next minute or last another 5+ years. You should expect old hdds to die regardless if it shows any sign at all. I wouldn't trust hdds that old without a backup or using it for files that I could easily get back. On second thought I wouldn't trust any storage even a brand new hdd/ssd without a backup.

xJesserX

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
i won't put any important files on it, should i use for installing games on it in a new build ? also i just found this : ' can be repaired by overwriting the drive with zeros — or, in the old days, performing a low-level format ' is it true ?

TRENDING THREADS