AKDono

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Sometimes when I power off my computer and then start up at a later time, it does not start up correctly.

I get a message after the POST that says something like : "Missing Operating System" or something like that....

I have to reset the computer several times, and then eventually it works.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the MBR?

Is there anything I can do to avoid buying a new HDD?

Western Digital 500GB drive.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I don't agree with the fate of the drive resting on a test from HD Tune. I seem to recall some drives might not respond to that test resulting in a false fail. Normally a HDD fails due to platter damage which means it is unlikely that the PC would boot at all if this was the case. I have some across one HDD that had an intermittent BIOS issue but this popped up at random times not just at boot up.

With this in mind I believe the more likely suspect is the motherboard, probably a BIOS issue.

AKDono

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I ran the Western Digital diagnostic software (quick test and extended test) and the HDD passed.
What are my other options to test the motherboard?

Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P

tisha woods

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
It is very difficult to say what the exact problem is. It might be very simple on like some problem in power management or sudden shock detection etc. But this usually gives a tic-tic sound. But whether your hard-drive is actually dieing or not can be known after checking-var/log/messages such errors. But take the backup as soon as possible, as it may crash loosing all your data.