Is my HDD failing?

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
Hello, so there have been no problems in the HDD's life until now. When I booted my PC, I get to the press f2 for bios screen then after that it goes black and this happens;

https://s32.postimg.org/6qphlddat/IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

I pressed the reset button as it didnt change for about a minute, same issue, then again, same issue. So then I just let it sit there, after about 3-5 minutes, the PC realised it's not booting and reset itself, and now it booted. During the booting process the HDD light was always flashing as usual in all scenarios. I would appreciate any help! Do I need a new HDD? I don't have a back up either since I have no other HDD's available.

Solution
So if you have a bunch of USB's that you can back up your content too, and for games you can try to save the data for them or just not worry about it and just re-download them from Steam. You can also try an create an image of your computer as well.

inerax

Distinguished
go download a HDD scanning tool at http://www.hdtune.com. run the check see what it says. This could really be anything ranging from GPU, CPU, memory, HDD. Time to start the trouble shooting if it keep happening.

StoneyCashew

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
So here is a link to run a test on one hard drive or all of them.

Link: http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

When your running your system keep in mind any noises coming from the drive such as clicking or whining music. Also try to run a disk clean up and optimize. You can find these in your control panel, or just type them into the search bar and they will pop up. Good luck~!

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014

I sort of don't want to reboot it at the moment in fear that it won't boot up again? But my system specs are:

Win 7 Professional
i7 3820
ASUS P9X79 Pro Mobo
Gigabyte GTX 660ti
Corsair AX 860 PSU
Blu Ray ROM
Seagate ST1000DM003 HDD

I also don't know if this is of any use?
Seatoolsinfo.jpg

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014

There were some out of the ordinary clicks when it was trying to boot and it black screened.

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014

Here is a screenshot:

Crystal_Disk_Info.jpg

StoneyCashew

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
If it's constanly making these noises than there might be an issue. Seagates are know to have failing issues, so make sure to back up all of your stuff now that you have gotten in, just in case. Do that test run of the hard drive, and run the clean up and optimize. Then once you have everything do a restart and find out the truth.

denniskuz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014

My issue comes that I can't create a back up since I have no disk to back it up to.

StoneyCashew

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
So if you have a bunch of USB's that you can back up your content too, and for games you can try to save the data for them or just not worry about it and just re-download them from Steam. You can also try an create an image of your computer as well.

Solution