[SOLVED] Is my HDD failing?

Jul 4, 2019
My pc's experiencing random screen tearing/lagging when watching youtube, and BSOD crashes (iqrl not less or equal, etc...)
I was wondering if a secondary drive can cause that issue, because I'm hearing a kind of screeching sound sometimes,, which I suspect is the HDD
My HDD is wdc wd10ezex-00wn4a0

Solution
Power off. Unplug the drive. Power on. See if the problem remains.

Nobody can tell you from where we are sitting whether the drive is the issue or not, even if it seems pretty likely given the noise you're hearing. Is that the only spinning drive you have installed or are there others?

Let's don't "suspect" that that drive is making the noise, lets verify and make damn sure we know whether it is or not by unplugging it to see if you still hear it and whether the problem keeps happening or stops once it's disconnected.
Power off. Unplug the drive. Power on. See if the problem remains.

Nobody can tell you from where we are sitting whether the drive is the issue or not, even if it seems pretty likely given the noise you're hearing. Is that the only spinning drive you have installed or are there others?

Let's don't "suspect" that that drive is making the noise, lets verify and make damn sure we know whether it is or not by unplugging it to see if you still hear it and whether the problem keeps happening or stops once it's disconnected.

Solution
The important question here, aside from whether the problem itself went away, is whether the NOISE went away? If a drive is making abnormal noise, then there is no question of continuing to use it. Drives DON'T make abnormal noises unless they are failing. Period. And if they are, and if you have important data on them, you want to get another drive and then move that data off the drive before it fails entirely, if possible.

I've been ordering parts from Newegg and Amazon all month. So far, despite warnings of delayed delivery or lack of delivery on some items, I haven't seen anything not be delivered but I'm not in one of the states with a high number of CV cases either.