[SOLVED] Is my HDD faulty ? can you identify this HDD noise ?

Solution
As has been mentioned some noise is to be expected and changes in noise may not bode well.

However, as I view your Resource Monitor link there are a quite a number of apps etc. running.

Are they all being launched via Task Manager or are you opening tabs and leaving them open?

I would minimize what is being launched at startup and then limit what I launch while working, gaming, browsing, etc.

If the HDDs are filling up and/or fragmented then the drive(s) will be doing much more work trying to write and read files.

You can have Windows do some "Disk Cleanup" to remove old temporary files and defragment a drive (HDD's only for de-fragmentation).

And there are other tools that might help.

However, hold on that for now. Determine...

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
All HDDs make this sound when they're running, some are louder than others. How long have you been using it and has the sound become louder over time?

Some drives are inaudible unless you place an ear close to it. Some can be heard outside a closed case if the system is a quiet one.

Reactions: ptt14041988

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Drives: makes, models, capacity, how full?

The link you posted seems to have some sort of problem.

Drives will make some noise no matter what as has been pointed out.

And just the fact that you noticed a change in the noises is a good indication that something may be going wrong.

Remembering that anything you do could cause further damage and data loss you must be careful.

Is the data on the drive backed up, proven recoverable, and readable?

If not, the priority should be to get backed up ASAP.

Make and model drive? Capacity/how full?

Go to the applicable drive manufacturer's website and download the manufacturer's disk drive diagnostic software.

Run the diagnostic software to determine what problems may exist.

Again, with a potentially failing drive, anything you do could cause immediate failure.

Apr 9, 2021
Thks for quick reply, please click at the second link
https://soundcloud.com/phong-h-928008792/noisehdd/s-E30fuMe5wQB
the problem I am having is windows keep thinking that it need to access the hdd even that it does not need to.
Fox example, I installed LOL on my SSD, I click on play button --> HDD made very quick stratching noise. When I finished choosing champions and load the waiting screen, my HDD again made that kind of noise like window wanted to load file from that HDD (but the game is installed on SSD)
Same thing happen when I lauched windows programs (os installed on SSD), my HDD again made very quick noise. IDK if that is head seeker of HDD moves (cause Windows keeps mistakenly thinks that should look for HDD first instead of loading directly from SSD)

Apr 9, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Drives: makes, models, capacity, how full?

The link you posted seems to have some sort of problem.

Drives will make some noise no matter what as has been pointed out.

And just the fact that you noticed a change in the noises is a good indication that something may be going wrong.

Remembering that anything you do could cause further damage and data loss you must be careful.

Is the data on the drive backed up, proven recoverable, and readable?

If not, the priority should be to get backed up ASAP.

Make and model drive? Capacity/how full?

Go to the applicable drive manufacturer's website and download the manufacturer's disk drive diagnostic software.

Run the diagnostic software to determine what problems may exist.

Again, with a potentially failing drive, anything you do could cause immediate failure.
I already backup my HDD, formated it and does not fix the problem. This is a seagate 3tb (3 years old). I cant complain about the HDD noise because I know it will make noise no matter what I want or not. But I cant explain why it makes noise when I dont use it :D

Apr 9, 2021
All HDDs make this sound when they're running, some are louder than others. How long have you been using it and has the sound become louder over time?

Some drives are inaudible unless you place an ear close to it. Some can be heard outside a closed case if the system is a quiet one.
yeah ikr :D

Apr 9, 2021
Is it making new noises?
That indicates 'not well'.

But....even a brand new drive in seemingly perfect condition can die suddenly.
Any storage device should be used with the thought that it may die in the next 0.25 sec.
Proceed accordingly.
yeah it making new noise, probaly window over using it

Ralston18

Titan
As has been mentioned some noise is to be expected and changes in noise may not bode well.

However, as I view your Resource Monitor link there are a quite a number of apps etc. running.

Are they all being launched via Task Manager or are you opening tabs and leaving them open?

I would minimize what is being launched at startup and then limit what I launch while working, gaming, browsing, etc.

If the HDDs are filling up and/or fragmented then the drive(s) will be doing much more work trying to write and read files.

You can have Windows do some "Disk Cleanup" to remove old temporary files and defragment a drive (HDD's only for de-fragmentation).

However, hold on that for now. Determine if reducing the number of running tasks/processes helps quiet the drive.

Also - update your post regarding the drives themselves.

The question remains: "Drives: makes, models, capacity, how full? "

It appears you have 6 physical disks and 8 lettered drives - is that correct? Intended?

Are the drives backing up amongst themselves?

Solution
Apr 9, 2021

However, hold on that for now. Determine if reducing the number of running tasks/processes helps quiet the drive.

Also - update your post regarding the drives themselves.

The question remains: "Drives: makes, models, capacity, how full? "

It appears you have 6 physical disks and 8 lettered drives - is that correct? Intended?

Are the drives backing up amongst themselves?
Hi thks for the full reply. As you can see in Resource monitor. I DID NOT OPEN ANY FILES in the drive G, H but files in xiao and relax music run themselves in resource monitor. My OS folder is C but RM reads it as I:\3. When I take the screenshots, all programs are closed or minimized. I
I ran disk fragment and clean disk of these drives before I took screenshot
My noisy hdd : Seagate ST3000 DM001 3TB - 900GB free
After I take this screenshot and paste it into paint.exe, ctrl+s to save this file., save as diaglog appears and my G drive makes clicking noise and my H drive vibrates like a car accident
https://ibb.co/Vq4Gh9C
Yes I have 3 SSD and 3 HDD with 8 letters.
I just reset my Window completely and still no fix :D

USAFRet

Titan
Hi I just want to know if my hdd is getting bad ?
What is your actual goal here?
No one can state with any specificity is it good, or bad, or when it might "die".

But know this...it WILL die.
May be tomorrow, may be in a decade.
It may go slowly into the night, or it it might die in the next 5 minutes.

Prepare for that eventuality.

But if it is making NEW noises...that is not good.

Apr 9, 2021
What is your actual goal here?
No one can state with any specificity is it good, or bad, or when it might "die".

But know this...it WILL die.
May be tomorrow, may be in a decade.
It may go slowly into the night, or it it might die in the next 5 minutes.

Prepare for that eventuality.

But if it is making NEW noises...that is not good.
Hi my goal is... to know why eveytime I use my SSD, my windows want to ACCESS my HDD first :D

Apr 9, 2021
What exists on the HDD?
just documents, videos file i dont see any system file. My systems keep thinking that it should wake up HDD. I set turn off HDD in power option 9999 mins. for example, I installed LOL in my SSD, idk why everytime I run it or loading screen, I hear clearly my H drive is spinning like it transfer files from SSD to H drive for 1 sec

popatim

Titan
Hi thks for the full reply. As you can see in Resource monitor. I DID NOT OPEN ANY FILES in the drive G, H but files in xiao and relax music run themselves in resource monitor.
Something is running those files. Did you make changes to the default sounds?
My OS folder is C but RM reads it as I:\3.
No it doesn't. i:3 means its your I: drive and using a folder named 3.
When I take the screenshots, all programs are closed or minimized.
minimized does not mean they aren't running and using Drives, Memory, GPU, CPU....

After I take this screenshot and paste it into paint.exe, ctrl+s to save this file., save as diaglog appears and my G drive makes clicking noise and my H drive vibrates like a car accident
This is normal on many systems as they cannot spin up drives individually. If they wake one up, they wake all of them attached to the same controller.

Apr 9, 2021
Something is running those files. Did you make changes to the default sounds?

No it doesn't. i:3 means its your I: drive and using a folder named 3.

minimized does not mean they aren't running and using Drives, Memory, GPU, CPU....

This is normal on many systems as they cannot spin up drives individually. If they wake one up, they wake all of them attached to the same controller.
as you can see my OS drive is "C", another SSD drive is letter "I". Resource monitor shows I:\3 with alot of system files running instead of C:\. I am having a laptop with SSD+HDD, where RS shows everything correctly C:\systems file
I dont make any changes to the default sound at all. It's super weird I am thinking windows auto caches files from HDD to SSD or something
btw i am very apprieate your help and knowledge :D

JamesAtari

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2014
Did you find a solution? My HDD is making the same noise.

I installed a new SSD, loaded a fresh install of windows and formatted my old HDD, it has 0 data/files on it etc but makes this noise every few minutes?

HDD is a Seagate Barracuda

Apr 9, 2021
Did you find a solution? My HDD is making the same noise.

I installed a new SSD, loaded a fresh install of windows and formatted my old HDD, it has 0 data/files on it etc but makes this noise every few minutes?

HDD is a Seagate Barracuda
I found the solution, buy a new HDD :D then transfer all data ASAP :D