[SOLVED] Is my Home Network safe with a PC still using Win7 connected on it?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I don't have anything important or personal on the old W7 PC, but it is still connected to the internet. Unplugging it would be the safest bet, I realize. And, I do most of the time. But I'd like to keep it connected occasionally. So, I'm wondering if the other machines on my home network can be compromised simply because they are on the same network with the W7 machine.
The W7 machine has MS Essentials on it, and Malwarebytes.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks.
So, I'm literally taking a chance with my other PCs on my home network if I have the W7 PC connected to the internet? Or are you saying that the W7 PC isn't anymore danger to the other network PCs than if it were a W10 PC? I didn't quite follow your answer as well as I should have.
Win 7 IS at more risk, due to lack of updates.
It still gets 'some', but not all.

But as always, safe computing practices can mitigate a lot of that risk.
Be careful where you go, don't download junk. This refers to the "between your ears " statement.

And 1 infected PC, no matter what OS, can potentially see and attack the others.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks.
So, I'm literally taking a chance with my other PCs on my home network if I have the W7 PC connected to the internet? Or are you saying that the W7 PC isn't anymore danger to the other network PCs than if it were a W10 PC? I didn't quite follow your answer as well as I should have.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks.
Win 7 IS at more risk, due to lack of updates.
It still gets 'some', but not all.

But as always, safe computing practices can mitigate a lot of that risk.
Be careful where you go, don't download junk. This refers to the "between your ears " statement.

And 1 infected PC, no matter what OS, can potentially see and attack the others.

punkncat

Dignified
Ambassador
TBH, probably not much concern at all, but agree that it's very much concerning what you are doing with this computer and what relation/file sharing they have with the other machines and devices within the house. The Win 10 machines are going to be updated against the risk and access (items) that are a vulnerability in 7, but it wouldn't mean that you couldn't inadvertently share some infected file across or so forth.
If you are only using the 7 machine to "surf" mainstream sites and view Netflix, you really aren't offering a vector by which to be infected.

It is important that you consider migrating away from the "7" based products within the unit as time goes on, and as support continues for the age and OS. For instance things like aftermarket browsers, AV products, things that are staying updated. The comment about you being the most effective AV is spot on. The other side to consider is WHAT would make you a target to certain things....IE, older systems are dealing with two major vulnerabilities in Spectre and Meltdown that, so far as I am aware, still have not been attempted to be exploited in the wild.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS