[SOLVED] Is my HX750 PSU compatible with the MSI 6800xt?

juarez69

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2014
I'm planning to upgrade my GPU from a 2070 to an MSI 6800xt, but upon reading some reviews of the 6800xt I stumbled with people saying the following "This is a 300 watt card, so make sure your 750 watt power supply has at least 2 rails with dual eight-pin connectors or 3 rails with single eight-pins. PCIE rails are only good for about 200ish watts, so you can't run this off one wire without being a fire or damage hazard. "

After reading this, I became worried that my Corsair HX750 80+ Platinum wasn't compatible, or if was, that I mess something up when plugging the GPU the day I install it.

Does anyone now if the Corsair HX750 80+ Platinum PSU has the required specs to run the 6800xt? I've been out of the PC stuff for a while now so help with this would be greatly appreciated.

My current build is the following, in case it helps out: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Juarez69/saved/mxgBbv

Solution
It has enough capacity to meet the recommendations of the card, but having seen several people already, who had very good power supplies too, like yours, experiencing problems with transient spikes that exceed the ability of the power supply to withstand without triggering protections, my advice would be that you might very well want to consider an 850-1000w PSU of similar quality as what you have now especially since you have a LOT of drives and fans installed, plus a very high TDP processor.

You can always try it with what you have now but if you notice any problems with shut downs, triggering protections, etc., you will want to upgrade to a higher capacity model asap.
It has enough capacity to meet the recommendations of the card, but having seen several people already, who had very good power supplies too, like yours, experiencing problems with transient spikes that exceed the ability of the power supply to withstand without triggering protections, my advice would be that you might very well want to consider an 850-1000w PSU of similar quality as what you have now especially since you have a LOT of drives and fans installed, plus a very high TDP processor.

You can always try it with what you have now but if you notice any problems with shut downs, triggering protections, etc., you will want to upgrade to a higher capacity model asap.

Solution
All things considered, it's not the worst choice out there, a very good unit but also an older platform. You should be fine with something like the HX850 or even the RM850x to be honest. Unless you plan to upgrade to an even hungrier model in the near future. 850w gives you more than 150w headroom for your current card. At least.