Is my i5 6600k cpu is good for gaming for next 4-5 years..

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
I have a cpu i5 6600k..
Games r working fine but i want to know that will it be fine for next 4 - 5 years of high graphics gaming.. With some upgradeable graphics card...

Solution
It should do fine but like JackNaylorPE said, I could answer you more accurately in 4-5yrs. Chances are it will be fine as they have been, or things could change. The future is unknown and trying to 'future proof' is futile. The best you can do is continue to upgrade as needed.
I was asking this same question about a 4690K.. Sure games will continue to run fine on that CPU.

As far as how well they will run? I think that depends on the game and if the developers program support for multi-threading, in which case a 6-8+ threaded CPU *may* run the game better than the quad-core, non-hyper-threaded 6600K.

But overall, the 6600K should still be good for gaming for the next 4-5 years. Unless some major breakthrough in IPC or multi-threading becomes mainstream before then and games pick up the trend, *which is very possible.

If i could answer that, I'd be capable of answering other questions which would more significantly improve things for me. Two things would be:

1. What horse will finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the 9 races at the horse track ....

2. What stock is going to be the next "Apple" and increase 100s of times over in next few years ?

There is simply no way of knowing. GPUs have increased performance more than 50% in last generation.... CPUs haven't done much at all since Sandy Bridge. They keep coming up with monitors with higher and higher resolutions but w/o the port / cable with the necessary bandwidth to deliver that signal at high refresh rates.

Sandy bridge (2011) CPUs are still doing fine, but if you went 5 generations back before them, you'd be crawling.

It should do fine but like JackNaylorPE said, I could answer you more accurately in 4-5yrs. Chances are it will be fine as they have been, or things could change. The future is unknown and trying to 'future proof' is futile. The best you can do is continue to upgrade as needed.

Solution
A lot depends on how you are using it. If running high fps (>100 fps) for a high Hz monitor we are already seeing the i7 6700k showing material gains over the 6600k in some games. For 60fps/60Hz gaming I would expect it to do well for the next 4-5 years but this is a guess, not a guarantee. For 100+fps/144Hz gaming I would have bought the 6700k for todays games.