[SOLVED] Is my i7 7700 3.6 bottlenecking my rtx 2060 6gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2022
hello guys, yesterday i bought an rtx 2060 6gb and i gotta say im really dissapointed.
(,my cpu is i7 7700 and i have 8gb ram)
in all games i went, the fps wasnt as expected, for example, i went to pubg with low settings, got only 90-100, in benchmarks i have seen people get this in ultra and in low settings they get 200, i went to apex, the same thing, 80-120, i have no idea why, i even went to lego sky walker saga, a lego game! ultra settings and got 100 fps? isn't it weird, if i type rtx 2060 benchmarks i can see lower cpu's who get more fps for me, why you dont think guys i have it ? (it is important to mention that my ram is 8gb 2133mhz).

i was sure the change from 1050 2gb to rtx 2060 gb will be great, i almost dont see any diffrences. i have worked a lot to get this card , im very sad.

if any one can share what he thinks, it will help me alot, if there are people with same specs as me,please hit me up. it will really mean the world for me

Omri. best regards.

Solution
You should open task manager and just see the CPU graph and if any of the threads are pegged at 100% then its CPU bound. I use MSI afterburner overlay personally to see my gpu usage and cpu, you can easily tell if the gpu is just jogging along if it doesnt hit 100% utilisation.

Anyway, based on your specs, you would be cpu bound on those titles. AAA titles youd be more gpu bound, but those high fps games is more cpu intensive the higher you go on the fps ladder. I dont think the 7700 is overclockable? Id probably fund for a i5 12400, ddr4 mobo and 16gb ram if youre on a budget. The 12400 can come close to a stock 10900k. Theyve been paired with 3080s and had similar performance. I wouldnt bother with a 7700k or anything unless you...
hello guys, yesterday i bought an rtx 2060 6gb and i gotta say im really dissapointed.
(,my cpu is i7 7700 and i have 8gb ram)
in all games i went, the fps wasnt as expected, for example, i went to pubg with low settings, got only 90-100, in benchmarks i have seen people get this in ultra and in low settings they get 200, i went to apex, the same thing, 80-120, i have no idea why, i even went to lego sky walker saga, a lego game! ultra settings and got 100 fps? isn't it weird, if i type rtx 2060 benchmarks i can see lower cpu's who get more fps for me, why you dont think guys i have it ? (it is important to mention that my ram is 8gb 2133mhz).

i was sure the change from 1050 2gb to rtx 2060 gb will be great, i almost dont see any diffrences. i have worked a lot to get this card , im very sad.

if any one can share what he thinks, it will help me alot, if there are people with same specs as me,please hit me up. it will really mean the world for me

Omri. best regards.
i think the ram is the bottleneck here, if its single channel than it could be it, but even if it's dual channel then the ram is insufficient. 16 gigs should be plenty, you dont have to buy high speed ram i you only use non Z motherboard. By the way whats your full pc specs?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the wise replay, my specs is
i7 7700 3.6 ghz
2060 6gb

kingstone 8 gb ddr 2133 mhz
750w supply
h110mk 1151 ddr4 h110 asus
Depends on the game as to the amount of difference. You could also be CPU maxed so not much of a difference.
You should at least be able to turn the in game settings up and get the same FPS as you were with the 1050.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOoevhflxA

Also run this and post a link to the results.

Reactions: spentshells
As mentioned above turn the settings way up and you will maintain the same frame rate, adding ram speed is another option.

However I see the board only supports up to 2400mhz which isn't great. Your motherboard and ram configuration appears to be holding you back. At this point all you can really do is turn the settings way up or go up in resolution.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
You should open task manager and just see the CPU graph and if any of the threads are pegged at 100% then its CPU bound. I use MSI afterburner overlay personally to see my gpu usage and cpu, you can easily tell if the gpu is just jogging along if it doesnt hit 100% utilisation.

Anyway, based on your specs, you would be cpu bound on those titles. AAA titles youd be more gpu bound, but those high fps games is more cpu intensive the higher you go on the fps ladder. I dont think the 7700 is overclockable? Id probably fund for a i5 12400, ddr4 mobo and 16gb ram if youre on a budget. The 12400 can come close to a stock 10900k. Theyve been paired with 3080s and had similar performance. I wouldnt bother with a 7700k or anything unless you find one super cheap.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.