Question Is my iGPU fried?

qospel

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Hey everyone, I am trying to fix my friends Acer Predator Triton 300, it has a 2070 Max-Q that is non-working.
He used liquid metal alot and was apprently very cautious with applications, only applying it with a protective acrylic.
The GPU is detectable in BIOS as well as in device manager, and Geforce Experience as well as manual driver installation allows me to update the drivers, yet it still doesn't work.
On the mobo I don't see any signs whatsoever of the liquid metal touching anything. Nothing looks burnt or messed up either.

I know the chances are it's damaged, but can anyone say with certainty or give me something else to try? I just think it's weird that it'd be appearing in BIOS and device manager if it was screwed. TIA

6624C44D-F839-4505-A21B-6AD5CAC5C19F.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've handled TG Conductonaut for about a year, and... that in the above image looks nothing like liquid metal - I don't even see the luster it has.
That's paste.

If liquid metal frys something, it's gone; there would be no detecting that part.

qospel

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
I've handled TG Conductonaut for about a year, and... that in the above image looks nothing like liquid metal - I don't even see the luster it has.
That's paste.

If liquid metal frys something, it's gone; there would be no detecting that part.
Sorry I should've mentioned, this is after I repasted with paste.

qospel

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
No way to tell via pictures anymore, now that the 'scene of the crime' has been masked...
If you had taken a picture before removing the LM, that would've been more useful.

What is meant by, 'it doesn't work'? What happens?
Honestly, nothing happens. BIOS and Device Manager recognize a 2070 Max-Q, but when booting into a game, it only runs on intel HD graphics. In Task Manager the 2070 isn't even listed. The GPU is not recognizable in afterburner either, Geforce Experience will allow me to download and install the latest driver but after an "installed" notification it doesn't show the checkmark like it has the current, it just shows the same option to install if that makes sense. NVIDIA Control Panel will install but won't launch. Just nothing

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The driver exe and Nvidia Control Panel are in storage...
Download and run Gpu-Z > Validation tab, and run it - if you're able to - and post the screenshot of the results, the Graphics card tab, and the full list of Sensors(you might have to stretch the Gpu-Z window for this one). [Post images via imgur.com]

qospel

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
The driver exe and Nvidia Control Panel are in storage...
Download and run Gpu-Z > Validation tab, and run it - if you're able to - and post the screenshot of the results, the Graphics card tab, and the full list of Sensors(you might have to stretch the Gpu-Z window for this one). [Post images via imgur.com]
apologies for late reply, I'm part time and accidentally left it at my work.
View: https://imgur.com/a/rYCLiM5
here's an album of the GPU-Z info and device manager
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/kspb2 here's the validation page

Is it weird that it shows all the information? does this mean it's saveable?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it weird that it shows all the information? does this mean it's saveable?
It does not show all the information.
On the GPU tab: Memory Size, Bus Width, and Bandwidth are all missing, or 0.
On the Sensors tab: the gpu nor memory clocks can be read, there's no gpu hot spot reading, gpu load... a bunch of sensors are just plain missing.

Your buddy's going to have to take this machine to a shop. See if they can salvage it.