[SOLVED] Is my Intel Core i7-3770K capping my GTX 1660 ?

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
I don't know if this is the right section for this threat.whatever when i play GTA V on High i get average 50fps to 45 and sometiems goes to 30..and this is starting to annoy me as i've seen many youtube videos using the same GPU as mine and having more than 60+(avg:75) on very high graphics too..so i was curious if my processor is the one who is not functioning as it should be or it should be upgraded?i've made a userbenchmark test and this was the results:
p8lDDD3.png

Also i play League of legends too..and i though that i would be having more than 144+fps atleast on normal graphics but i am having 144 only in the first 2mins then it start going down to 100 and even 90fps on normal settings..so if anyone can help me i would appreciate this so much.

PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1660
Ram: kingston 16GB
Thanks.

Solution
Yes, this is overclocking.

I would argue, that if you're running the CPU at the same voltage* as it ran at "stock", then there's really no harm to be done.

*Before you start OCing. Run a stress test (I like OCCT) and write down the CPU voltage. OCCT will report that value to you, otherwise CPUz is a common software for reporting this info also. When you enter 42x for all 4 multipliers, run OCCT again and write down the new voltage. Determine the difference, then go back into the BIOS and look for "CPU voltage offset) and set is as (negative) whatever the difference was, and you're now running exactly the stock speed of the CPU, but at the higher frequency. If that voltage causes the computer to crash, you'll need to bump voltage...
GTA5 is a notoriously CPU-bound game (you'll see it used in pretty much every CPU review.

I have an OC'd i7-3770 (unfortunately, I didn't grab GTA5 while it was free on Epic).

Have you overclocked yours? 4.3GHz all-core is easily attainable, which could be a 15% improvement over stock.

What are your CPU temps while gaming? What CPU cooler do you have?
What motherboard do you have?

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
GTA5 is a notoriously CPU-bound game (you'll see it used in pretty much every CPU review.

I have an OC'd i7-3770 (unfortunately, I didn't grab GTA5 while it was free on Epic).

Have you overclocked yours? 4.3GHz all-core is easily attainable, which could be a 15% improvement over stock.

What are your CPU temps while gaming? What CPU cooler do you have?
What motherboard do you have?
so does that mean if i upgraded my pc to lets say core i5 9400F..this will mostly improve my fps right?but like how many fps will i get bu upgrading like..will be it +20fps? and what about league of legends

you can search for some accounts as some people already got it on multi accounts so maybe someone will give one for ya

Nope..i've never overclocked my CPU or GPU and i don't know how as i didn't try and didn't search for it as i think it is dangerous for the CPU and GPU and it will decrease their lifetime (as far as i know) and in egypt..pc components are kinda expensive.

CPU avg temp. : 86c
GPU avg temp: 62c

how can i know the CPU cooler i have??
my motherboard is: Intel DZ77RE-75K

i am just not that pro with pc components etc..so please forgive me for that and thanks so much for spending time replying <3

maybe this pic may help in something?
VtI5XPt.png

Last edited:
You won't be able to upgrade your CPU only, you will need a new motherboard and RAM also. When you run the game run MSI Afterburner, it will tell you how the CPU is doing, if it's at 100% while the card is under then your CPU is behind the card in what it can do.

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
You won't be able to upgrade your CPU only, you will need a new motherboard and RAM also. When you run the game run MSI Afterburner, it will tell you how the CPU is doing, if it's at 100% while the card is under then your CPU is behind the card in what it can do.
the CPU is not 100%..atleast if it was in gta V i am sure it wont be in LoL..i don't know this is so weird

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
Average CPU temp 86c? Maybe that's your issue..
Actually yeah..it could be that as i just checked the average on internet and it says from 50-65..i noticed that it is 50 without doing anything on the pc..or like just using facebook etc..but when i enter games..even League of Legends.. it goes up to 75-85c..so any ideas on how to improve the cooling system?i will post pics of my cooling system in 30mins or something..i got 2in front fans and 1back the case..can someone please tell me what should i edit/upgrade to reduce the CPU temp?

Last edited:

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
Are the front fans sucking air in?
yes..they are sucking air in and the back fan takes it out

EDIT:well..i just found something so weird..i tried downloading speedfan so i can increase my fans' speed..and when i was in-game to test it..i found that the MSI afterburner kept saying that my CPU temp was 65-76 etc.. in league of legends but speedfan said that it was 51-52 the whole game..i didn't feel hot when i put my hand on the case..so i am not sure if msi afterburner was giving accurate outputs..also is there any major problem thay may occur if i kept my fan speed at 100%??

Last edited:
I can't remember if Ivy Bridge throttles at 90C or 100C. If you're at 86C, its very possible you could be tickling thermal throttling. For desktop PCs, you normally try to keep things under 75C.

If you take the side panel off your case, does CPU temps go down?

When the side panel is off your case, look at the CPU cooler. Does it have an Intel sticker on the fan hub? If so, then it's a "stock Intel" cooler.

Major problems with keeping fan speed at 100% - LOUD NOISES!!! Obviously, higher rpm = quicker to wear out the fan bearing, but meh.

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
I can't remember if Ivy Bridge throttles at 90C or 100C. If you're at 86C, its very possible you could be tickling thermal throttling. For desktop PCs, you normally try to keep things under 75C.

If you take the side panel off your case, does CPU temps go down?

When the side panel is off your case, look at the CPU cooler. Does it have an Intel sticker on the fan hub? If so, then it's a "stock Intel" cooler.

Major problems with keeping fan speed at 100% - LOUD NOISES!!! Obviously, higher rpm = quicker to wear out the fan bearing, but meh.
First..Thanks so much for replying <3
well..as i noticed and think msi afterburner was giving falso temp output(75+)..as speedfan said it was 52..i just downloaded another software to make sure that it is CPUID HWMonitor..and it says that my CPU temp is 52 too..and as i said i tried putting my hands on the case and it wasn't that hot that is why i was surprised that msi afterburner said it was 75+(86) so i think it is not a problem with the temp..w/e i will try to take the side panel off and check the temp again..i dont care about the noises..it isn't that annoying actually for me

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
My 3770 does 4.2GHz (just go into the BIOS and set the "all-core" turbo multiplier to 42x) at ~1.1V (which is basically stock voltage). I've seen 3770Ks go to 4.5GHz.
i will give this a try but i am having a problem now..
Im getting 85% on the cpu with userbenchmark with x3470 which is first gen xeon. You should atleast get this result even with stock / slight overclock.

With stock speeds 51% and 4.2ghz oc about 84-85%.
well..i don't know i didn't try to overclock the CPU before..i may try it..

So guys...when i tried downloading SpeedFan..i changed the front fan speed..and then returned it to normal and i noticed that my rear fan is not working anymore..so i restarted the pc and the problem is still remaining..tried loading the default settings in the motherboard menu but no response..any ideas?

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
i will give this a try but i am having a problem now..

well..i don't know i didn't try to overclock the CPU before..i may try it..

So guys...when i tried downloading SpeedFan..i changed the front fan speed..and then returned it to normal and i noticed that my rear fan is not working anymore..so i restarted the pc and the problem is still remaining..tried loading the default settings in the motherboard menu but no response..any ideas?
alright so i managed to get the fan working again so back to the topic,is there any harm on the cpu or the whole PC itself on changing that all core turbo thingy to 42x??and what is the meaning of stock speed?

Short answer: No harm in 42-44x. Just do it. Your other option is to buy a new CPU+mobo+RAM.

Long answer:
Stock speed = the frequency Intel intends the chip to run. This is determined by a few factors. Intel (in this case) needs to be able to guarantee that ALL 3770Ks will run at the frequency they specify on the spec sheet (AMD has muddied these waters lately, but that's for another discussion) and that all chips will last for a set duration to satisfy warranty terms and general longevity expectations from the public. Intel and AMD offer 3 year warranties on their chips (when operated at stock speeds) currently. But if most chips ended up dying at year 4, that would be VERY bad in the public eye. Furthermore, Intel knows what they're doing when they offer K series (overclockable) SKUs for i3, i5, i7, i9 families.

The standard deviation on the given process node of a chip will determine this largely. Intel has various SKUs with varying frequencies that they can drop lower performing silicon into, but at the end of the day, they need to produce a certain quantity of chips (based on demand) that will run at a given frequency. There are even max frequency variances amongst individual cores on a given chip. AMD and Intel have been taking advantage of this lately in their push to squeeze every last drop of performance out of their chips in stock behavior.

The stock frequency is also determined based on power consumption. Silicon may be able to hit 7GHz on all cores, but would output so much heat that the common consumer wouldn't own/buy a heatsink capable enough to cool it. Most would say that Intel is pushing this limit with their 9th and 10th gen i9 CPUs.

Historically speaking, older chips generally have more overclocking headroom that newer ones. Go back far enough in time, and a 2x frequency increase was possible. Ivy Bridge was closer to 30%. Nowadays, about all you can manage is to run all the cores at the single core turbo frequency. And sometimes that's not even achievable. Some of the reason for that is undoubtedly the ability to test/simulate chip performance with more accuracy and in more volume than in the past.

One last thing, is that oftentimes, the motherboard ends up "overclocking" a CPU even without you knowing it. Intel Multi-Core Enhancement (MCE) is a BIOS setting that runs all cores at the single core max turbo frequency. This was a big issue/story in Sandy Bridge and tapering off in Ivy Bridge, but now has become practically ubiquitous again. This feature is turned on by default (out of the box) by the mobo manufacturer, and is technically overclocking. AMD boards just had a story last week about mobo manufacturers cheating on the power reporting to the chips, to trick them into running faster than they otherwise would.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScreamX
Lynnfield and westmere cpu:s where the best for overclocking. I can get 40-50% overclock on nearly all the chips which works well for 24/7 use even years. With lynnfield i5 even 4.5ghz is possible but when you enable hyperthreading with i7 i would say 4.3ghz is best anyone can get for 24/7 use.

EDIT: tennis2 gave very good information, usually people just start spamming that you need completely new system with, you guessed ryzen with quadrillion cores which are never used efficiently in a million years.

Last edited:
I think the days of 4 core / 4 thread CPUs are behind us. Sure, there are some games that are still ok with 4c, but there are more and more that want 6-7 threads, especially when you consider online gaming.

My brother and I have the same RX480 GPU. I have a 2560x1440 monitor and he's got a 2560x1080 monitor. I have an i7-3770 (at 4.2GHz) and he's got an i5-4690K (at 4.4GHz) and I get significantly higher FPS in Destiny 2 compared to him, using the same in-game quality settings, and my GPU is pushing more pixels.

I think 4c/8t Intel i7 CPUs are still good enough in 2020. Are they the fastest? Of course not. Can you get significantly higher FPS in some games with a current-gen CPU, yes. Whether a platform upgrade is in order depends on your financial situation (and even so, I'd wait another couple months for COVID supply shortages to dissipate).

3wCM69b2aYGCWsCSPU8qbA-650-80.png

mgZMV293xQ3ArUUTKQRbPi-650-80.png

GTAV_average_fps.png

At least for GTA5, you could expect up to 33% FPS improvement going from an i7-3770K to an i5-10600K (which is essentially an i7-8700K)

Last edited:

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
Short answer: No harm in 42-44x. Just do it. Your other option is to buy a new CPU+mobo+RAM.

Long answer:
Stock speed = the frequency Intel intends the chip to run. This is determined by a few factors. Intel (in this case) needs to be able to guarantee that ALL 3770Ks will run at the frequency they specify on the spec sheet (AMD has muddied these waters lately, but that's for another discussion) and that all chips will last for a set duration to satisfy warranty terms and general longevity expectations from the public. Intel and AMD offer 3 year warranties on their chips (when operated at stock speeds) currently. But if most chips ended up dying at year 4, that would be VERY bad in the public eye. Furthermore, Intel knows what they're doing when they offer K series (overclockable) SKUs for i3, i5, i7, i9 families.

The standard deviation on the given process node of a chip will determine this largely. Intel has various SKUs with varying frequencies that they can drop lower performing silicon into, but at the end of the day, they need to produce a certain quantity of chips (based on demand) that will run at a given frequency. There are even max frequency variances amongst individual cores on a given chip. AMD and Intel have been taking advantage of this lately in their push to squeeze every last drop of performance out of their chips in stock behavior.

The stock frequency is also determined based on power consumption. Silicon may be able to hit 7GHz on all cores, but would output so much heat that the common consumer wouldn't own/buy a heatsink capable enough to cool it. Most would say that Intel is pushing this limit with their 9th and 10th gen i9 CPUs.

Historically speaking, older chips generally have more overclocking headroom that newer ones. Go back far enough in time, and a 2x frequency increase was possible. Ivy Bridge was closer to 30%. Nowadays, about all you can manage is to run all the cores at the single core turbo frequency. And sometimes that's not even achievable. Some of the reason for that is undoubtedly the ability to test/simulate chip performance with more accuracy and in more volume than in the past.

One last thing, is that oftentimes, the motherboard ends up "overclocking" a CPU even without you knowing it. Intel Multi-Core Enhancement (MCE) is a BIOS setting that runs all cores at the single core max turbo frequency. This was a big issue/story in Sandy Bridge and tapering off in Ivy Bridge, but now has become practically ubiquitous again. This feature is turned on by default (out of the box) by the mobo manufacturer, and is technically overclocking. AMD boards just had a story last week about mobo manufacturers cheating on the power reporting to the chips, to trick them into running faster than they otherwise would.
first i have to thank you so much for that great explanation..that helped me so much actually..so i will go ahead and try the 42-44x and tell you the results.
i will consider buying a new CPU but later as these things are kinda expensive here in Egypt..but thanks so much for that valuable information <3

EDIT:excuse my lack of knowledge about the hardware stuff..but can someone help me with this?i don't know what should i exactly do tbh..
yJFen6k.png

fXkqEi6.jpg

9IY6IUl.png

Last edited:

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
Oh wow, intel visual bios. Have to say i never overclocked this kinda bios, havent even seen one like this. I will let tennis2 help you with this since im more experienced with older gen cpu.
yeah ;D actually i got an option for the classical BIOS too..i will wait tennis2 then,thanks for your reply <3

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
i read them but i can see that this is kinda risky..this will increase the load on the processor and will shorten his lifetime i think?as this is considered overclocking?i just still care about the lifetime as i stated..computer components are expensive here..i am not sure if that will affect the processor lifetime or not..especially that i feel it is kinda complicated and i am not hugely suffering from the fps drop..is it worth doing that?like maybe moving the slide to 4ghz or something?or better leave it as it is?