[SOLVED] Is my Intel Core i7-3770K capping my GTX 1660 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
I don't know if this is the right section for this threat.whatever when i play GTA V on High i get average 50fps to 45 and sometiems goes to 30..and this is starting to annoy me as i've seen many youtube videos using the same GPU as mine and having more than 60+(avg:75) on very high graphics too..so i was curious if my processor is the one who is not functioning as it should be or it should be upgraded?i've made a userbenchmark test and this was the results:
p8lDDD3.png

Also i play League of legends too..and i though that i would be having more than 144+fps atleast on normal graphics but i am having 144 only in the first 2mins then it start going down to 100 and even 90fps on normal settings..so if anyone can help me i would appreciate this so much.

PC specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1660
Ram: kingston 16GB
Thanks.

Solution
Yes, this is overclocking.

I would argue, that if you're running the CPU at the same voltage* as it ran at "stock", then there's really no harm to be done.

*Before you start OCing. Run a stress test (I like OCCT) and write down the CPU voltage. OCCT will report that value to you, otherwise CPUz is a common software for reporting this info also. When you enter 42x for all 4 multipliers, run OCCT again and write down the new voltage. Determine the difference, then go back into the BIOS and look for "CPU voltage offset) and set is as (negative) whatever the difference was, and you're now running exactly the stock speed of the CPU, but at the higher frequency. If that voltage causes the computer to crash, you'll need to bump voltage...

I would argue, that if you're running the CPU at the same voltage* as it ran at "stock", then there's really no harm to be done.

*Before you start OCing. Run a stress test (I like OCCT) and write down the CPU voltage. OCCT will report that value to you, otherwise CPUz is a common software for reporting this info also. When you enter 42x for all 4 multipliers, run OCCT again and write down the new voltage. Determine the difference, then go back into the BIOS and look for "CPU voltage offset) and set is as (negative) whatever the difference was, and you're now running exactly the stock speed of the CPU, but at the higher frequency. If that voltage causes the computer to crash, you'll need to bump voltage up a bit. Again, I'm running 4.2GHz @ 1.1V stable.

Solution

ScreamX

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019

*Before you start OCing. Run a stress test (I like OCCT) and write down the CPU voltage. OCCT will report that value to you, otherwise CPUz is a common software for reporting this info also. When you enter 42x for all 4 multipliers, run OCCT again and write down the new voltage. Determine the difference, then go back into the BIOS and look for "CPU voltage offset) and set is as (negative) whatever the difference was, and you're now running exactly the stock speed of the CPU, but at the higher frequency. If that voltage causes the computer to crash, you'll need to bump voltage up a bit. Again, I'm running 4.2GHz @ 1.1V stable.
Alright then..i will just try to read more and search for that a little bit then i will give it a shot..i am really grateful for you <3 thanks for helping me and spending time replying..thankss sooo much <3