Question Is my keyboard fixable ?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have a Microft keyboard which was quite expensive when I bought it and it's Capture key is not working at all now, all other keys are fine.
Can I fix it by myself and, if so, how ? I don't want to throw it away.

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you sure it doesn't work?

Where did you test it? on one PC or a few?

Just wondering if its a software cause perhaps?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I don't see anything specifically about fixing the capture key. It seems strange its just 1 key. Sure it doesn't have fluff under it?

Which button is it on keyboard? Along top or one of the ones inbetween the 2 rows of keys?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
are you sure it doesn't work?

Where did you test it? on one PC or a few?

Just wondering if its a software cause perhaps?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I don't see anything specifically about fixing the capture key. It seems strange its just 1 key. Sure it doesn't have fluff under it?

Which button is it on keyboard? Along top or one of the ones inbetween the 2 rows of keys?

Hi. I do not have another desktop PC to test. I have been trying it, putting it away for months, and tried it again, no, the caps lock key doesn't work, all other keys work fine