Question Is my laptop a multi-disk system or a single-disk system? Lubuntu installation instructions ask this and I don't know.

May 30, 2019
I want to install Lubuntu for the first time. Below are the two options it wants me to pick from.

Something that's making me think I might possibly have a multi-disk system is that in addition to C drive there's a drive called local disk F. It's a used laptop I bought in 2017. When I look at the specifications (for example, when I press F1 when it starts up) however, I don't see evidence of multiple disks. Then again, I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

https://docs.lubuntu.net/lubuntu_installation

Easy Installation Options:
(for single disks and simple configurations)
...[snip]...

“Something Else”:
(fairly advanced, for multi-disk systems or custom partition setups)

1. Open GParted, and perform the next for all empty disks.

Here are the specs of my HP PRO X2 612 G1 refurbished tablet/laptop.

intel core i5 4302Y. 1.6 Ghz prrocessor speed. 8192 MB RAM.

Info I see when I press F1 at start-up:

hard drive information:
hdd 1:
type: ata
[then three rows of information]
capacity: 256 gb
LBA48: Supported
SMART: Enabled
Sector Type: 4k/512e
ssd wear percentage: 11

Memory Information:
DIMM: Device Locator: Bottom-Slot 1 (left)
[then seven more rows of information]

DIMM: Device Locator: Bottom-Slot 2 (right)
[then seven more rows of information]

---
more description of the laptop:

2-in-1 HP Pro X2 612 G1 with Intel Core performance that converts to a tablet for full speed on the go.
12.5-inch 1366 x 768 IPS Display
Intel Core i5-4302Y Processor (Dual-Core, 1.60GHz)
8GB Memory
256GB (64GB Capacity) Storage
Intel HD Graphics 4200
802.11AC and Bluetooth 4.0 + HS
What's in the box
HP Factory Recertified Pro X2 612 12.5" Tablet
Power Cord
AC Adapter

Specifications
Item#: SPM10315632118
Model#: 751575R-999-FLX5

May 30, 2019
Cool, thanks. Do you think my laptop's specs make Lubuntu the best choice or Ubuntu? I care a lot about battery life and, so, power consumption. I also want lots of my processing power devoted to possibly running a full node cryptocurrency wallet so I don't want my OS to be using up any more processing power than it absolutely has to.

The differences between various *buntu's is in the GUI. Probably, Lubuntu is tad more forgiving on the hardware than Ubuntu or Kubuntu. But once the GUI is shutdown, only daemons take CPU. Learn to use "top" command - it'll show you what processes are running, and where.

Crypto mining on a laptop, and concerned about on-battery performance - you can't have both. Especially on power-efficient CPUs like you have in your 2-in-one.

And let's say that mining on a common computer will not bring you any money.

May 30, 2019
Rufus, the program in windows, asked me if I want the usb stick method to use gpt or mbr. I'm going to choose "erase disk and install” since I want to erase all my files and install only linux. I'm assuming "gpt" is the right answer, right? Google results seem to be saying that's best.

I'm not planning to mine, I'm planning to just have a full node wallet temporarily, if I can. I'm new to crypto but this is what I read the advantage is to having a full node and how it differs from what miners do.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinBeginners/comments/bsulsh/advantage_of_running_a_full_node/

[–]TheGreatMuffin 1 point 6 days ago
Privacy and trustless verification of transactions (you don't have to rely on third parties to tell you if you own any bitcoin, and don't have to leak your IP and your transaction data to them).

shivankbatra154
Looke i m a newbie...can u plz tell how full nodes verify the transactions...isnt it the miners who do that?

permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive awardreply

bitusher 3 points 6 days ago
Miners both validate transactions and order them , non mining full nodes validate the rules and will block any peers transactions and ban nodes automatically that attempt to change or remove any consensus rules. Even if 100% of the hashrate colludes(wont happen as btc mining is decentralized) they cannot change or remove any rules as my node will reject them[/S]

Attempting to run cryptomining on laptops will simply utilize 75-125 watts of power, give you an $50-$75 increased monthly electric bill , and handsomely reward you with perhaps $5-10 month in crypto currency at today's hash-rates.

You missed the 'everyone can mine profitably' stage by about 8 years... :(