[SOLVED] Is my laptop compatable with VR gaming?

Aug 22, 2020
Earlier this year I bought a brand new laptop for school, a Dell G7 17 with an RTX 2060 and a i7-9750H. Obviously those specs would be just fine on a desktop to run any VR games with ease but my problems stem from somewhere else. I wanted to do some research before i purchased an HTC Vive to see how i would run a VR headset on my laptop. I've heard of people who were able to play VR games in some cases but in other cases I heard that the lack of usb 3 ports and an incompatible hdmi would stop me.

My reasearch has basically told me that most hdmi ports will run intergrated graphics rather than the built in dedicated graphics card. My question is that I don't know how to tell if my laptop's hdmi port will lead to the intergrated graphics or the beefy RTX card I have. To be able to know this knowledge would be nice so that i can try and sell this for a desktop before the next semester starts. If anyone can help me find out if my laptop can support VR gaming would be highly appreciated!!

Solution
I'd suggest you get/borrow a standard display from a friend that has an HDMI input. Connect that to your laptop. Run your programs to see if they're using the RTX 2060 or the integrated graphics. If it's using the RTX 2060, you should be good to go with the VR set up.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd suggest you get/borrow a standard display from a friend that has an HDMI input. Connect that to your laptop. Run your programs to see if they're using the RTX 2060 or the integrated graphics. If it's using the RTX 2060, you should be good to go with the VR set up.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Aug 22, 2020

-Wolf sends
how can i tell that i'm running intergrated graphics or my rtx, where do i go to do that?

TRENDING THREADS