Is my laptop decent for gaming

Gammahooch13

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
I have a brand new dell inspiron 15 7000 series with a intel I7 4510u dual core that can run at 3.1 GHz with 4m cache, 16 gb of ram and an Intel 4400 HD graphics. I have been running Left 4 Dead 2 amazingly but is this decent for gaming.

Solution
As others mentioned already, it's only going to play relatively light games. Some of the most demanding ones might be able to run, but at minimum settings and at the lowest resolution.

For how good the HD 4400 is for an integrated card, it's simply not fit for heavyweight gaming.
Also, to add up on what boosted1g said, it's not actually that good of a CPU...
I mean, sure, it's an i7, but it's an ULV chip, and its clock speed is 3.1Ghz only when under TurboBoost-compliant conditions. As soon as it'll start heating up, it'll throttle down to 2Ghz or less, with massive framerate hits on some games.

Source engine games are OK, pre 2004-2005 games should be fine as well; on some games, you could stretch up to 2007-2008 by gradually...
The cpu is good, but your gpu is just the integrated graphics on the cpu. While it is miles ahead of what there was 3-5 years ago, its not going to play any serrious game, some games will just flat out deny to load beacuse of the integrated graphics.

Laptops are not upgradeable to near the level of desktops, and if you started with integrated graphics then you are stuck with what you got.

FastGunna

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
A couple years ago I made the uneducated decision to buy a laptop with an i7 and integrated graphics. I could play a fair amount of old games for about 10 minutes at which point my computer would throttle heavily, dropping me to 1fps and sometimes overheat and shut down. Newer games that I tried to play were unplayable, such as Metro 2033, War Thunder, Dawn of War II, Witcher 2, and Saints Row The Third. It was the worst decision ive ever mad as a hard core gamer.

If you only plan on light gaming or you mostly play old games/source engine games you'll probably be fine as long as you can keep the cpu cool enough. If you want to play anything that is demanding in anyway, you need a dedicated GPU.

Vynavill

Honorable
As others mentioned already, it's only going to play relatively light games. Some of the most demanding ones might be able to run, but at minimum settings and at the lowest resolution.

For how good the HD 4400 is for an integrated card, it's simply not fit for heavyweight gaming.
Also, to add up on what boosted1g said, it's not actually that good of a CPU...
I mean, sure, it's an i7, but it's an ULV chip, and its clock speed is 3.1Ghz only when under TurboBoost-compliant conditions. As soon as it'll start heating up, it'll throttle down to 2Ghz or less, with massive framerate hits on some games.

Source engine games are OK, pre 2004-2005 games should be fine as well; on some games, you could stretch up to 2007-2008 by gradually lowering details and resolutions the more "recent" you get, but anything else will most probably stutter to the point it's unplayable. Retrogaming is also a viable option, should you like it.

Solution