[SOLVED] Is my laptop dying?

Sep 22, 2019
My laptop was running completely fine but just after i plugged in my old phone my laptop asked me to restart which i did. It resulted in my laptop showing me an sihost.exe error system warning with the description stating "unknown hard error". It took me several tries to sign in to my pc, i tried to verify my files using cmd which results in it stating that they were able to find corrupt files but were unable to fix them. I tried dism but that dnt work either with an error 0x80004002. My laptop also says that my pc is missing several important updates even though i just updated it recently. I ran hdd health and my health is 98% and it couldn't detect my hard drive information such as manufacturer and model. I completely do not know what to do

computer manufacturer is ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model: G550JX
Form factor: Laptop
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ @ 2.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

Solution
I found this;

1. Download and prepare a bootable windows media creation tool ver1803 from the windows website
  2. Boot into windows and DONT clicking 'ok' to the sihost.exe system warning
  3. This somehow enable the explorer.exe to work. Plug the usb in and start the setup.
  4. Run the Media Creation Tool (1803) and it will detect updates are available.
  5. Follow and run as prompted
  6. Wait with patients (Important**)
  7. it will then update the windows properly this time.
if you get c:\windows\system.....\desktop error instead, you explorer.exe is likely not working. Press the windows key + R to run the media tool via the run program...
I found this;

1. Download and prepare a bootable windows media creation tool ver1803 from the windows website
  3. This somehow enable the explorer.exe to work. Plug the usb in and start the setup.
if you get c:\windows\system.....\desktop error instead, you explorer.exe is likely not working. Press the windows key + R to run the media tool via the run program.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/52a24a33-499c-4ff0-a880-9de55d211898?page=2

Solution
Sep 22, 2019
You may try to reinstall Windows to see if it solve the issue. Just remember to backup important files to an external storage device.

I tried to reset my laptop but it would fail 2 hours in. The same thing happens when i try it on a usb flash drive using the windows 10 media file with an error code "0xC1900101 - 0x40017"

Sep 22, 2019
I found this;

if you get c:\windows\system.....\desktop error instead, you explorer.exe is likely not working. Press the windows key + R to run the media tool via the run program.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/52a24a33-499c-4ff0-a880-9de55d211898?page=2

I did try the media installer and it dnt work however after some digging around i found the installer for 1803 and im trying to install it now. Will update soon

I did try the media installer and it dnt work however after some digging around i found the installer for 1803 and im trying to install it now. Will update soon
The article was written when 1803 was the current version. I meant to change it to 1903. I really don't think using an 1803 installer will have any better results, but since the 1903 didn't work, you might as well give it a try.. BTW, the error code "0xC1900101 - 0x40017" simply tells you the install failed; something you already know..

You also might want to try Windows Restore. Unfortunately with Windows 10 you usually have to enable and configure it to work as by default it is disabled. If not, it will show restore points, but no information will have been saved so it will not be able to use any of the restore dates. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10 If you did enable it, or it was enabled by ASUS, you could restore your windows to a state before this trouble began.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
The article was written when 1803 was the current version. I meant to change it to 1903. I really don't think using an 1803 installer will have any better results, but since the 1903 didn't work, you might as well give it a try.. BTW, the error code "0xC1900101 - 0x40017" simply tells you the install failed; something you already know..

You also might want to try Windows Restore. Unfortunately with Windows 10 you usually have to enable and configure it to work as by default it is disabled. If not, it will show restore points, but no information will have been saved so it will not be able to use any of the restore dates. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10 If you did enable it, or it was enabled by ASUS, you could restore your windows to a state before this trouble began.

I forgot to re enable that feature after i switched my hard drive after my old one died so i dont have any restore points

Also apparently the 1803 installer seems to be... Working? It dnt stop and its almost done actually, maybe it might just work...

Sep 22, 2019
I forgot to re enable that feature after i switched my hard drive after my old one died so i dont have any restore points

Also apparently the 1803 installer seems to be... Working? It dnt stop and its almost done actually, maybe it might just work...

Wow! I actually think it worked. No system warning when i sign in and my files are still all there. My keyboard drivers isnt working but i can easily fix that. Thank you guys for your help i appreciate it.