[SOLVED] Is my Laptop dying?

Aurumaker72

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
So i have a laptop and when i play games like ETS2 or ccd and use the gpu and cpu and ram at full power, it starts making weird squeaking and grinding. It's not loud; only when i put my ear up to it but seems weird.
Also on standby when the laptop is not using anything the fan sounds like it doesn't run at constant RPM. It goes something like this: it revs up a bit and it revs down; it's not constant and sounds unhealthy. Temps are ok, 70 degrees celsius when gaming.

So any advice? Also it's a hp pavilion 15 (3 years old lol) and i've never had a issue with it
I can't open it up because it's a hp duh but i cleaned the fan with a vacuum by putting it up the intake hole and yea.
So some help?

Have you ever heard of "coil whine". What you're describing sounds a lot like it, imo. If you need a video, literally google "coil whine video" and you'll have some major YouTube techguys explaining what it is and sometimes even how to minimize it.

If that's not at all what is happening, let me know. :)

Aurumaker72

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
Have you ever heard of "coil whine". What you're describing sounds a lot like it, imo. If you need a video, literally google "coil whine video" and you'll have some major YouTube techguys explaining what it is and sometimes even how to minimize it.

If that's not at all what is happening, let me know. :)

Doesn't sound really similar to the videos of laptops having coil whine on youtube. It's high pitched, almost constant scratching.

From what info you have given us, it seems like there is no issue atm other then worn out fans

Worst case scenario would be that your games start to lag (thermal throttling) or the laptop powering down during gaming (stress)

You could try and swap the fans out if you are up for it

"I can't open it up because it's a hp "

There is sure to be a youtube vid on how to do it

Aurumaker72

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019
From what info you have given us, it seems like there is no issue atm other then worn out fans

Worst case scenario would be that your games start to lag (thermal throttling) or the laptop powering down during gaming (stress)

Thanks for the response!

I never had my laptop crash or turn off. Not one time.

About the HP thing: it's true. I can't open it up. Two of the four screws are well.... screwed. They're completely impossible to open, trust me i tried.

I will take it to a repair shop in my hometown when i have the time.
Games run fine on it, Euro Truck Simulator 2 runs with 50fps on medium high settings.
One thing i should mention is the supposed "coil whine". It's probably not bad or dangerous but it's soo loud and annoying. I mean playing CPU games is ok and fine but GPU intensive games absolutely force me to use headphones. I once played ETS2 without headphones and i got a headache lol. I'm not sure if it's the gpu tho. It seems to be coming from somewhere under the numpad bottom.
(see photo). Photo of laptop

Have a nice day.

Aurumaker72

Reputable
Sep 29, 2019

(Copy and pasted from another thread i have over the similar problem)

VERY GOOD NEWS! I opened the bad boy up and well lo and behold: it was filled to the brim with disgusting dust. Cleaned it for like 2 hours. Now it's silent and runs a bit better alltogether.

It has 4gb ram. One sad, underpowered stick of 4gb ddr3 ram.

So i now am for the search of another 4gb stick ddr3 ram, to make 8gb. It's a pavilion HP Pavilion 15 au108nq. Please someone try to help me search. I need one 4gb stick ddr3 ram, if it's two 4gb sticks then ok.

Please help me i am in need of help yes.
If you don't want to, it's ok i wish you all a nice day.