[SOLVED] Is my laptop gpu failing?

Dec 25, 2018
Hi I have a gtx 980m laptop and just today ive been experiencing this issue were. I was just playing roblox a simple game, the first issue was when it just froze for a good 2 minutes and I seen textures glitching. After that 2 mins everything went back to normal. The 3rd (I was still playing the same game) the screen went completely black, but I could still hear my game going on, so I had to hard reset and weird after that windows was updating?

No it is not overheating I’ve replaced thermal paste with noctua hi, and temps never touch 60 when playing this game, I’ve did stress test of MSI both the gpu and CPU for 10 mins. And nothing happened.

I do have a little experience with fixing laptop, but I’m not an expert yet and I was wondering if my gpu is failing?

Solution
It is hard to say. Did you install any drivers recently? I would try other drivers. Have you tried doing a clean install of drivers? Switching off windows game bar and 3rd party apps. Did windows 1809 install?

Unfortunately textures glitching is often a sign of too high overclock or a failing card. It is also possible that stress test did nothing because something is wrong with part of the card that the tests dont touch but a heavier game does. If all else fails I would re-apply thermal paste while making sure everything is snug as a bug, and reinstall windows before announcing the card as dead. There is a also a graphics card memory test utility somewhere you could also try that.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
texture glitching happens normally in some games. The best idea for you now is to test it with other games that you have already tried in that laptop.
Some games can make your screen go black too. Artifacts when operating normally is kinda a sign of gpu going bad, or sometimes it could be also caused by bad drivers.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
It is hard to say. Did you install any drivers recently? I would try other drivers. Have you tried doing a clean install of drivers? Switching off windows game bar and 3rd party apps. Did windows 1809 install?

Unfortunately textures glitching is often a sign of too high overclock or a failing card. It is also possible that stress test did nothing because something is wrong with part of the card that the tests dont touch but a heavier game does. If all else fails I would re-apply thermal paste while making sure everything is snug as a bug, and reinstall windows before announcing the card as dead. There is a also a graphics card memory test utility somewhere you could also try that.

Solution
Dec 25, 2018
I’m really getting worried guys replacing the motherboard would cost 400$ since the gpu is soldered on. I’ll try reinstalling drives and using DDU to see that helps, and try a full reset on windows. Also I’ve bought this laptop used on. Craig’s which suppose to be 650$ but the guy dropped it down for me for 500$, and he made sure everything was working. I’ve work my way hard on earning this laptop, and I love the performance. Thanks guys for helping me out and also to say I never ever will overclocked, I do know how though but I just won’t take the risk of doing so.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

Well re-applying thermal paste on a laptop can be a risk also. Generally most laptops are good for moderate gaming and no overclocking. Did you try other drivers? Keep playing other games and see if it starts to crash more. Yesterday PUBG crashed for me after going to 1FPS when spectating. My system is fine though, had to restart the game.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Bad drivers, bad texture files, specific areas in game and even switching between game and tasks can trigger this problem. Texture glitching on different games and it happening consistently is a sign of failing GPU(still fixable).