Apr 15, 2020
Hey, everyone! I have a laptop here bought it about 8 or 9 years ago..... This is an ASUS K55A-SX096R! I tried searching it for google but it won't came up. I have a seal in here.. It has two seals that can't be removed these are the seals: https://ibb.co/48m72GL
It has the microsoft certification and asus seal but isn't this laptop a counterfeit? I want to update the BIOS chip, but I'm afraid that i will corrupt the BIOS... I have a bios version of 204 but in finding it in asus website the 204 bios isn't listed upon starting up windows, it shows and its logo is asus.... I want to update the bios but I can't because of this... Sorry for the grammar...

Solution
Completely different maybe just due to the risk of things getting screwed in case electricity stops, as bios updating shouldn't be interrupted in any way. What bios updates themselves may 'screw' is generally 'fixed' by resetting bios, if any problem really happens.
Why don't you actually give me sample(s), when bios really has lead to real problems and damage? I don't pretend to call myself smart, I just wonder what, and why?

In fact, I had some issues with windows updates, while never having a problem , or seen a problem with bios updates.
If being too worried, go get an UPS. Ensures that things will not go wrong in case electricity stops (which is probably a happening once per two years - exactly when u update ur bios???).
And...
I don't understand what is the problem.
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/K55A/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Just do it. Latest version: 407.
K55A is what you have to be interested in.
I don't see a reason for ASUS to keep old (and probably useless) bios version for old device, so if this is what bothers u, don't care about it.
Also, if the bios is improper, there should be an error when u run the installer/bios file, preventing from going further.

Reactions: The_Prophecy
Apr 15, 2020
I don't understand what is the problem.
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/K55A/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Just do it. Latest version: 407.
K55A is what you have to be interested in.
I don't see a reason for ASUS to keep old (and probably useless) bios version for old device, so if this is what bothers u, don't care about it.
Also, if the bios is improper, there should be an error when u run the installer/bios file, preventing from going further.
Are u sure about it? I'm afraid on corrupting the bios...

Considering the BIOS changelog on the website doesn't explicitly mention support for other CPU's, while there is no reason why you couldn't TRY that upgrade after a BIOS update, do bear in mind that there is also no guarantee that it would actually work, regardless of using the same socket.

Apr 15, 2020
Yeah, I know but, some sites and some people says that the system may perform fast and fluently or smooth when updating the bios before installing the cpu and bios updates helps to improve your system overall stability...

Man, like I said, if there is incompatibility of some sort, the installer should stop by itself.
Recently I did two bios updates, both "risky", and everything was fine, as I expected it to be. Just both times I had to bypass some issues via command propmpt and a 32-bit OS.
Both times the updates were with .exe files that I ran from Windows.

USAFRet

Titan
Really?
Then I guess we shouldn't update Windows unless we
really really need to.
Two completely different things.

For instance, ASRock:
Please read the information below before downloading or updating your BIOS
We do not recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally. ASRock assumes no responsibility for any damages caused by improper operations of downloading or updating the BIOS. Before you download or update the BIOS, please read " (How to Update)" below carefully. After updating BIOS, all the settings will be reset to the default.

Gigabyte:
Warning:
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

MSI:
WARNING!!!!!DON'T FLASH WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE!!!!DON'T FLASH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

Apr 15, 2020
Man, like I said, if there is incompatibility of some sort, the installer should stop by itself.
Recently I did two bios updates, both "risky", and everything was fine, as I expected it to be. Just both times I had to bypass some issues via command propmpt and a 32-bit OS.
Both times the updates were with .exe files that I ran from Windows.
I have problems but, tell me if my computer is fake because maybe fake computers have some different bios from the original one... If my computer is not fake well i can try to update it