[SOLVED] Is my laptop stopping my monitor from working at 144hz?

Oct 15, 2020
Im sorry because this is probably the dumbest question ever asked but im confused. I have an old HP laptop thats really nothing much and i recently bought a 144hz monitor so that when i build my pc i have one, now when i got to display settings i cannot go to 144hz instead just 60. Im wondering if this is because of my laptop or if the monitor i bought is broken. any help would be ever so appreciated, thank you! Tom

Solution
So i have made a custom display at 144hz but i dont know if this means im running at 144hz yet? also as long as this is only a laptop issue and not a monitor one i am fine with that because im using the monitor on a pc build later so if its going to be able to do 144hz its alright. are there anu tests i can run to see if ive fixed it? thank you so much for your help

The monitor should be able to reach it I see no problems in the spec list, the issue seems to be on your laptop end but if it's for a PC build later then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You should be able to tell if the monitor is running at 144Hz compared to 60Hz. The difference is night & day between the two refresh rates; you won't be able to NOT notice it...
Its a HP Pavillion Notebook with Processor AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) according to my system information

I need the specific model #, it should say it on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop. Either way it should support 144Hz with that GPU. Take a look at this link. Is the monitor you bought on this list? Do you have the right version HDMI cable (I presume you're using HDMI)? Does your laptop have the appropriate HDMI port version?

Oct 15, 2020
I need the specific model #, it should say it on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop. Either way it should support 144Hz with that GPU. Take a look at this link. Is the monitor you bought on this list? Do you have the right version HDMI cable (I presume you're using HDMI)? Does your laptop have the appropriate HDMI port version?
Hello sorry i dont have a sticker underneath my laptop (or not anymore at least). The monitor i bought is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JK6XMSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . My hdmi cable is 1.4 so im really confused

Hello sorry i dont have a sticker underneath my laptop (or not anymore at least). The monitor i bought is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JK6XMSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . My hdmi cable is 1.4 so im really confused

Everything looks fine, so the issue is definitely on the laptop end. To see model # type "System Information" in windows search bar > open system information > Look for "System model" label. That should be your laptop model.

Oct 15, 2020
Everything looks fine, so the issue is definitely on the laptop end. To see model # type "System Information" in windows search bar > open system information > Look for "System model" label. That should be your laptop model.
this is the list of everything in my system information, sorry if its overkill
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-5UHM9AU
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Pavilion Notebook
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU P4A28EA#ABU
Processor AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F.17, 10/03/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 82.41
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 80B2
BaseBoard Version 82.29
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
Username DESKTOP-5UHM9AU\tomca
Time Zone GMT Summer Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.94 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.15 GB
Total Virtual Memory 10.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.39 GB
Page File Space 3.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

this is the list of everything in my system information, sorry if its overkill
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-5UHM9AU
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Pavilion Notebook
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU P4A28EA#ABU
Processor AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F.17, 10/03/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 82.41
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 80B2
BaseBoard Version 82.29
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
Username DESKTOP-5UHM9AU\tomca
Time Zone GMT Summer Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.94 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.15 GB
Total Virtual Memory 10.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.39 GB
Page File Space 3.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Did you try to set the refresh rate via windows or through the dedicated radeon software?

Did you try to set the refresh rate via windows or through the dedicated radeon software?

Using the radeon software, try to force the refresh rate in the video settings. Make sure you select the correct display when you're changing the settings. Same for trying to change it in windows settings, you have to select the display before changing the refresh rate, since you're using dual monitors it will default to the settings page of the first monitor.

Oct 15, 2020
Using the radeon software, try to force the refresh rate in the video settings. Make sure you select the correct display when you're changing the settings. Same for trying to change it in windows settings, you have to select the display before changing the refresh rate, since you're using dual monitors it will default to the settings page of the first monitor.
So i have made a custom display at 144hz but i dont know if this means im running at 144hz yet? also as long as this is only a laptop issue and not a monitor one i am fine with that because im using the monitor on a pc build later so if its going to be able to do 144hz its alright. are there anu tests i can run to see if ive fixed it? thank you so much for your help

The monitor should be able to reach it I see no problems in the spec list, the issue seems to be on your laptop end but if it's for a PC build later then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You should be able to tell if the monitor is running at 144Hz compared to 60Hz. The difference is night & day between the two refresh rates; you won't be able to NOT notice it. It feels like butter compared to 60Hz.

Solution