Is my laptop using all it's cores?

ruangrobler866

Reputable
May 18, 2018
I'm not very educated when it comes to pc hardware and I've been trying to figure out if my laptop is actually using all it's processing power...

When I go into Task Manager, under Performance, it shows 4 graphs once I click on "change graph to > logical processors". At the bottom it shows: 1 socket, 2 cores and 4 logical processors. I then decided to go and press the windows button + R, I typed in msconfig and went to the Boot tab where I then clicked "advanced options" and set the number of processors to 2. I then restarted my pc and went back to Task manager and went to performance and now I saw 2 graphs instead 4 which I initially saw before this entire process. I then looked below where it now shows: 1 socket, 1 cores and 2 logical processors.

Here is my cpu details: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz
I'm assuming that I'm now using all my laptop cpu cores and not wasting any?

ruangrobler866

Reputable
May 18, 2018
Seems like the 4 graphs was a glitch or something. I went back to the boot tab thing where I then checked the drop down to choose how many cores I want to use...before it showed 4 now it shows 2 and I cannot go above 2. The task manager also shows 2 graphs now instead of 4 and I cannot go higher.