Question Is my laptop's NVME 2.0 or 3.0 and x1, x2 or x4?

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Colour Coded? 0.o
Am i able to determine how many 3.0 (or2.0) lanes my NVME B+M slot (not card) has, without contacting HP?
Intel claims my card interfaces with 3.0 x2 NVME only so I think there is a hidden PCIe bus/device somewhere or it is in the Realtek 2.0 x1 slot?

According to Speccy I have 5 PCIe slots. HWinfo suggests i have 4 PCIe buses: (3 connected to a fourth bus #0) and 4 PCIe devices including the pcie 2.0 iGPU which is not connected to any lanes or buses, the other 3 devices are the dedicated GPU 3.0 x4, the (A+E) wifi 2.0 x1 card and RealTek card reader 2.0 x1?, 6 lanes total of the 12 supported by the CPU manufacturer but HWinfo suggests the USB controller is a 5th PCIe 'device'.

Alternative reading format 0.o
Speccy = 5 PCIe slots
HWinfo = 4 PCIe devices (6 lanes, 1 3.0x4, 2 2.0 x1 and 1 2.0x0)
Intel CPU = 3.0 and 12 PCIe lanes support
Intel NVME storage = requires 3.0 x2 only interface not displayed by HWinfo or Speccy but device is functioning perfecting, listed in BIOS as PCIe. ( i guess it is also supported by 2.0 x1 but intel's website doesn't suggest so???)

At the end of the day I want to remove my NVME storage and replace with an adapter to an AMD PCIe 4.0 x16 GPU. Motherboard is by HP (cn 0019tx)

(I have spent the past 7 hours to get to this point, I hope someone else learning ServiceNow uses their class computers inappropriately too)
Thanks for any help, even if it's whether HP will even tell me if i ring up and ask, or their phone number maybe, experiences etc.

Ref. HP ENVY x360 - 15-cn0019tx Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support
Intel Optane Memory Series 16GB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 20nm 3D Xpoint Product Specifications
Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor

Last edited:
Colour Coded? 0.o
Am i able to determine how many 3.0 (or2.0) lanes my NVME B+M slot (not card) has, without contacting HP?
Intel claims my card interfaces with 3.0 x2 NVME only so I think there is a hidden PCIe bus/device somewhere or it is in the Realtek 2.0 x1 slot?

According to Speccy I have 5 PCIe slots. HWinfo suggests i have 4 PCIe buses: (3 connected to a fourth bus #0) and 4 PCIe devices including the pcie 2.0 iGPU which is not connected to any lanes or buses, the other 3 devices are the dedicated GPU 3.0 x4, the (A+E) wifi 2.0 x1 card and RealTek card reader 2.0 x1?, 6 lanes total of the 12 supported by the CPU manufacturer but HWinfo suggests the USB controller is a 5th PCIe 'device'.

Alternative reading format 0.o
Speccy = 5 PCIe slots
HWinfo = 4 PCIe devices (6 lanes, 1 3.0x4, 2 2.0 x1 and 1 2.0x0)
Intel CPU = 3.0 and 12 PCIe lanes support
Intel NVME storage = requires 3.0 x2 only interface not displayed by HWinfo or Speccy but device is functioning perfecting, listed in BIOS as PCIe. ( i guess it is also supported by 2.0 x1 but intel's website doesn't suggest so???)

At the end of the day I want to remove my NVME storage and replace with an adapter to an AMD PCIe 4.0 x16 GPU. Motherboard is by HP (cn 0019tx)

(I have spent the past 7 hours to get to this point, I hope someone else learning ServiceNow uses their class computers inappropriately too)
Thanks for any help, even if it's whether HP will even tell me if i ring up and ask, or their phone number maybe, experiences etc.

Ref. HP ENVY x360 - 15-cn0019tx Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support
Intel Optane Memory Series 16GB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 20nm 3D Xpoint Product Specifications
Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor
NVMe SSD requires 4 PCIe lanes to be NVMe at all. It's just a protocol not a physical value.
PCIe, excluding physical connectors (x1, x4, x8 and x16, which is number of PCIe lanes) also comes in several versions (protocol, frequency and bandwidth) with latest one being v5,0 are downward compatible with PCIe devices plugged in them.
So you can have an NVMe SSD v4 for instance and it will work in let's say PCIe v2 nut at reduced speed and as lomg as interface can provide 4 PCIe lanes it will still be NVMe.