[SOLVED] Is my lightning cable broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
My iPad Pro was plugged in for the last hour and then I found it wasn't charging. It's done the same plugged into my MacBook where it acts like it's rapidly being plugged in and unplugged. Now my cables never get moved or unplugged from the wall unless travelling which has only happened twice. My iPad also never moves from the spot these days. It's only 6 or so months old. Would be disappointing if so, the charge cable has consistently failed on each Apple device I've owned. I replaced the one that came with my iPod touch with an Amazon Basics one which was flawless for years

I'm running 11.4 beta 4

Solution
The build quality of Apple's cables definitely leaves something to be desired. That being said, as long as they're treated well and not misused, you shouldn't have to replace a charging cable/adapter for the life of the product. I've never had to replace a cable or power brick, but I could've also gotten lucky. A little advice: the most abuse a cable takes is when you're charging the device and using the product at the same time. When charging and using the device simultaneously, the cable tends to do the most twisting and turning (at the iPad end and also the adapter end), which could create kinks. It's good to get in the habit of running your fingers down the cable to straighten it out prior to rolling it up or stashing it away...

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

I found it wasn't charging when plugged into the wall (it's charging now though). I've had to replace charge cables for all my Apple products like I said in my original post.

Jun 1, 2018
Be sure you are using OEM cables and charging adapters. I've had a number of issues with aftermarket charging equip. for my Apple products over the years. The iPad pro requires 12-watts if I recall correctly. Make sure your charging adapter is the 12 watt version and be sure you are using an Apple certified lightning cable. Be sure the cable has no kinks or damaged pins on either side.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

It was the OEM cable and adaptor. I've had more trouble with OEM Apple cables than 3rd party ones. My iPad's gone for repair anyway and is being replaced

Jun 1, 2018
The build quality of Apple's cables definitely leaves something to be desired. That being said, as long as they're treated well and not misused, you shouldn't have to replace a charging cable/adapter for the life of the product. I've never had to replace a cable or power brick, but I could've also gotten lucky. A little advice: the most abuse a cable takes is when you're charging the device and using the product at the same time. When charging and using the device simultaneously, the cable tends to do the most twisting and turning (at the iPad end and also the adapter end), which could create kinks. It's good to get in the habit of running your fingers down the cable to straighten it out prior to rolling it up or stashing it away. You'll see by straightening it out how much unraveling it's doing....those twists should be avoided as much as possible to get the most longevity out of a cable. Anyway, just my two cents. Hope it helps with your next set of cables!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.