[SOLVED] Is my Logitech subwoofer on its way out?

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I have a Logitech Z523 2.1 speaker setup that has lasted me through the years with minimal issues. For the last few years though about once or twice a year the subwoofer would make noise when turned on and no audio is playing, though every time I was able to fix this by unplugging everything, blowing on it and replugging it in. This time though it has persisted for a few days and I can't fix it no matter what I do. These are the sounds it makes, a rumbling sound when I immediately turn it on and if I play with the bass knob, and a loud thud sound every time I turn the speakers off. Anyone know what this is indicative of and if it can be easily fixed somehow? I was looking to upgrade my speakers eventually, but was not looking to do it so soon as I just upgraded my GPU. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks, I tried everything from wiping the cable tips with a rubbing alcohol damp paper towel to using my DataVac to blow into the ports and around the speaker knobs. I even took off the nuts on on the side of the DB9 port in case they were somehow causing the cable not to make full contact. That didn't fix it. However after playing music for a bit (seems to have no issue when audio is playing) the noises seem to have gotten much quieter when no audio is playing now. Still there but quiet enough not to be a bother. I just hope this isn't indicative of the unit failing soon.

The issue is most likely in the knobs. A trick I use with mine is to shut off the speaker, then move the knobs back and forth quickly from min to max a few...

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Make sure all the connections are tight, you may also want to clean the knobs in the control speakers. If they get dirty or start to fail the speakers don't act properly.
Thanks, I tried everything from wiping the cable tips with a rubbing alcohol damp paper towel to using my DataVac to blow into the ports and around the speaker knobs. I even took off the nuts on on the side of the DB9 port in case they were somehow causing the cable not to make full contact. That didn't fix it. However after playing music for a bit (seems to have no issue when audio is playing) the noises seem to have gotten much quieter when no audio is playing now. Still there but quiet enough not to be a bother. I just hope this isn't indicative of the unit failing soon.

The issue is most likely in the knobs. A trick I use with mine is to shut off the speaker, then move the knobs back and forth quickly from min to max a few times. That tends to make the pots work better, for a while at least.

Solution