Question Is my Maximus Apex XII Motherboard broken or am I just too stupid?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 8, 2021
Hi all,

I have installed my 970 Evo Plus nvme and its working in windows.

My problem is that no mather what i try mt NvME wont run at x4 speed. In bios its set to Gen3 and to M.2_1 x4 which is the only onbord slot for nvme.
It runs half speed as if it was set to x2. Its not!
There are no SATA devices connected. Just this one NvME at slot M.2_1.
Manual says when M.2_1(PCH) slot is used with a x4 device then Slot PCIe 3.0 x4 will be disabled. That fine, have my GPU at PCIe 3.0 x16_1 slot.

Bios, Chipset, drivers and firmware are all latest. Also have the Samsung NvME driver.

I have reinstalled Windows six times the last 7 days of troubleshooting and im out of ideas.

Is this Motherboard not supposed to be able to handle this setup? Or maybe there are some advanced power settings that i dont know of.

When I run CrystalDiskMark its gives ~1700 MB/s Read and Write. It should be about 3000 MB/s.

I have given up myself and just dont know what to fix it.

You guys are my last hope! Please help :)

CrystalDiskMark, CrystalDiskInfo and SiSoftware screenshots are below specs.

Specs:

Intel Core I9-10850K
Rog Maximus Apex XII z490 (Bios1003_latest)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme
Crucial Ballistix Max DDR4-4000Mhz CL18 2x16GB
Asus strix RTX 3090 oc

Benchmarks and SiSoftware

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021
I noticed something when I launched Ubuntu. In top left corner it came with some warnings about wrong chipset or something like that. Is that normal? It did start Ubuntu, but with those warnings. It didnt look right but then again, how would I know.