Is my MB dead?

deijr1238

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Hey guys - got a quick question for you.

I was given a computer by a friend of mine, who picked it up off the side of the road for trash. Being the computer guru I am, I told him I'd like to have it, so that I can hopefully build it up and sell it.

When you turn it on, you can hear the fans start running, and the Hard Drive starts spinning. However, no output will appear on the monitor. I've changed out the HDD, PSU, Video Card (it has onboard video, but I connected an old PCI-E card I had), MB Battery, and IDE Cables. I can not get a picture on the monitor for anything. That leads me to believe that the motherboard has to be dead in it.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm not sure if this is the right section or not, but it looked like the best place to me.

-Brian

deijr1238

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006

Monitor is good. I'll check the RAM and post back. Tried integrated graphics, no good either.

Did yoy try clearing the CMOS RAM ?

I can't do that, because I can't see a picture. Or at least I don't know of a way to do it. Taking the 2032 out would have reset that anyways, right?

deijr1238

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Changed out the RAM, still no picture. However, the HDD indicator on the front is now solid green, and it has been for about 5 minutes. Before, it would stay solid green only for about a minute, then go away.

I think he's making two suggestions:
clear the cmos
check the ram

You can clear the CMOS by turning off the computer, unplugging it and removing the "watch battery" near the bios chip. Look around for it, there will only be one. Wait a couple seconds, put it back in, plug in the computer and boot it up again.

deijr1238

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
The CR2032? I tried that, it was the second thing I tried. I believe I am just going to get all the good parts off of it, and take it to the trash can. Like you said earlier, I've switched out everything except the motherboard.