[SOLVED] Is my memory causing random reboots, or my PSU, or is it my GPU VRAM??

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
These system reboots seem to happen only when gaming, bar one occasion when I just had the browser open. Playing PUBG for an hour and suddenly and without warning boom, black screen and then the Windows login screen.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 under a Cryorig a80 280mm radiator.
AsRock b550m pro 4.
1080ti nzxt kraken mod, under a Corsair h80i.

2x 16gb Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz RAM. BIOS enabled XMP to match 3600mhz.

Corsair RM650 80 gold plus (6.5 years old)

So I suspect the PSU or the GPU mod now, since the memory with XMP 3600mhz enabled only, passed 10 hours of Prime95 large FFT tests, couple of hours of small FFT tests and the same for blend tests. I used the free version of memtest86 and it passed the 4 passes after 6 hours. I tried the windows memory diagnostics tool a couple times and it went to 100% of the test each time and rebooted into Windows without showing me any reports or anything like any notes. Dunno what that means.

I wish there was a sure way to know if it is my PSU or GPU. My GPU temperatures are good, at 62C max after a couple hours of PUBG and even cooler with Warzone. Perhaps the VRAM is overheating? YouTubers who did the Kraken mod seemed to show no issues with their systems, without even putting any heatsinks on their VRAM modules (mine has beefy heatsinks to dissipate heat). Dunno how to diagnose overheating RAM or to measure it.

Last edited:
Solution
What are the sure signs of a failing PSU?

random shutdowns during benchs
also, you have a 6.5yo, 650W PSU with a 1080ti. that leaves barelly any headroom. PSUs tend to deliver less power when they get older.
get a 850W for the piece of mind since you're into high powered GPUs

if amazon is available in your area, you can always buy a PSU and return it before 30 days no question ask.

check the PSU tier list for a good model available at good price in your area

Not can I fathom effectively rewiring the whole rig

that's part of the fun ! :)
mind you, it could be worse, you could have a full loop of watercooling to drain, each time you change anything. like i do

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
i think you missed a sentence on the top, you didn't say waht was your problem.

thanks to the last sentence, we know your problem is random reboots while gaming, but your system handles P95 and other benchs without a problem.

advice :
uninstall your graphic drivers with the DDU utility
then reinstall the latest version
then test again

you can use benchs specialized for GPUs, like superposition , run it several times
another bench is furmark, but it's really taxing, set your fans to 100%

also, monitor the system and GPU temps while you bench, maybe you have a bad fan or bad heatsink contact.

if it crashes, i would try with another PSU.

Most of the time, bad GPUs don't crashes that way. they get artefacts or don't do anything at all.

on the other hand, a PSU with a bad 12v rail will crash your system when your GPU asks for power.

Reactions: steedsofwar

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
i think you missed a sentence on the top, you didn't say waht was your problem.

thanks to the last sentence, we know your problem is random reboots while gaming, but your system handles P95 and other benchs without a problem.

advice :
uninstall your graphic drivers with the DDU utility
then reinstall the latest version
then test again

you can use benchs specialized for GPUs, like superposition , run it several times
another bench is furmark, but it's really taxing, set your fans to 100%

also, monitor the system and GPU temps while you bench, maybe you have a bad fan or bad heatsink contact.

if it crashes, i would try with another PSU.

Most of the time, bad GPUs don't crashes that way. they get artefacts or don't do anything at all.

on the other hand, a PSU with a bad 12v rail will crash your system when your GPU asks for power.

I've edited the post to add the sentence at the top. I thought it's in the title question of the post but maybe unclear. Thanks for the pointer.

Now. I've ran several loops of Heaven Benchmark and no issues. Good frames. At 1080p setting, 137+ frames. 142 sometimes. I will try superposition and Furmark. The curves are set to go to 100% if they meet the temp threshold.

As I say, my temps are good in games and benchmarks like Prime95/Heaven. So I don't believe it is the seating of the coolers.

I just don't have another PSU at hand. Nor can I fathom effectively rewiring the whole rig. Is there any other way? What are the sure signs of a failing PSU?

Last edited:

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
What are the sure signs of a failing PSU?

also, you have a 6.5yo, 650W PSU with a 1080ti. that leaves barelly any headroom. PSUs tend to deliver less power when they get older.

if amazon is available in your area, you can always buy a PSU and return it before 30 days no question ask.

Not can I fathom effectively rewiring the whole rig

mind you, it could be worse, you could have a full loop of watercooling to drain, each time you change anything. like i do

Solution

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

Thanks for the uplifting attitude, man. I needed that. Yes I bought the 1080ti on launch day via pre-order. The FE is noisy and not so cool. So the Kraken mod was necessary. I did the arctic accelero mod, prior to that. Loved doing them both.

So I guess I can't cheap out on the PSU. It was top of the line when I bought it for my 980ti 6.5 years ago. And yes, Amazon is my answer here in the UK, London.

Before I do, I'm gonna run Cinebench, Superposition and then Furmark and see if it reboots mid way.

Cheers, man. I'm glad for this community.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I would point my finger at your PSU my friend. It's ampage on the 12v rail is probably not enough juice. Also the guru above was correct cheapo PSU's slowly die longer you have it. This is why I stress people to at the minimum get a 650w PSU with 80+ Bronze. Try the EVGA 650w 80+ Bronze as that thing is solid my old man uses it and he has a 9900k system that has not crashed even one time or a freeze or anything.🤷‍♀️💯👀

Last edited by a moderator:

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
I would point my finger at your PSU my friend. It's ampage on the 12v rail is probably not enough juice. Also the guru above was correct cheapo PSU's slowly die longer you have it. This is why I stress people to at the minimum get a 650w PSU with 80+ Bronze. Try the EVGA 650w 80+ Gold as that thing is solid my old man uses it and he has a 9900k system that has not crashed even one time or a freeze or anything.🤷‍♀️💯👀

Cheers. I had a very strong doubt it was the PSU. The thing is a Corsair RM650 80+ gold. But it is now quite old. This day was coming and I could feel it.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

I ran Furmark for an hour and no issues. Temps stayed locked at 60C. I ran superposition for a couple hours and again same results. I also ran 3dmark Time Spy and the score was 8905 (75% better than the ...)

I wonder what the problem is during actual games. I think it might be just PUBG that I 4emeber it happens on. I did get some sleeved extensions for the PSU cables. Can they cause the reboots?

My last test will be to do some gaming tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe try it without the extensions, to eliminate them.

If not, I've already added an 850w be quiet straight line 11, 80 plus gold to my Amazon account alongside a Corsair rm850x to choose between.

Reactions: neojack

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
I ran Furmark for an hour and no issues. Temps stayed locked at 60C. I ran superposition for a couple hours and again same results. I also ran 3dmark Time Spy and the score was 8905 (75% better than the ...)

I wonder what the problem is during actual games. I think it might be just PUBG that I 4emeber it happens on. I did get some sleeved extensions for the PSU cables. Can they cause the reboots?

My last test will be to do some gaming tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe try it without the extensions, to eliminate them.

If not, I've already added an 850w be quiet straight line 11, 80 plus gold to my Amazon account alongside a Corsair rm850x to choose between.
Okay, quick update. I have done some intensive lengthy gaming sessions yesterday and no random reboot. 6 hours of gaming straight. Till my head hurt.

And the only thing I did was switch the power cables between monitor and PSU. The general word is that this shouldn't make any difference so it could be placebo. It could mean that I wasn't able to reproduce the error due to it's randomness. Although it happened twice in the space of two hours a few nights ago when I began troubleshooting this.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
Just OC'd the GPU to the max and still no issues thank God, after hours and nights of gaming. Same 7yr old PSU. Corsair must make them good.

I'll make sure to not mix the power cables up like that again.

Here is the thing their RM line of PSUs is not the greatest from Corsair and what not. I think your Corsair PSU still has warranty on it. I believe its 5 years if Im not mistaken.🤷‍♀️

You need to check your facts, the RM series are good power supplies. Seriously, please go check your facts before posting, this is not the first time you have posted inaccurate and misleading information. I'm sure you mean well, but what you've said here is plain wrong.