[SOLVED] Is my MOBO compatible with the Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

T0xicsaurus

Commendable
Aug 10, 2020
Hello everyone,

Feel kinda bad to ask, because I'm not a complete noob with pcs, but every time i attempt to purchase the Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor on pcpartpicker, i get that might need update bios error code which is weird... because from what the manufacturer website says, it states my mobo is compatible with it. Here are my specs

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: B360 HD3
BIOS: F2 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM
Page File: 15261MB used, 7713MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown

Thank you

Solution
D
i7-9700K is compatible with your motherboard as of BIOS version F11 (however it states the processor twice, with another bios version -- F13. I would just update to the latest version.)

You have BIOS version F2. You will need to update the BIOS.
D

Deleted member 2720853

i7-9700K is compatible with your motherboard as of BIOS version F11 (however it states the processor twice, with another bios version -- F13. I would just update to the latest version.)

Solution

T0xicsaurus

Commendable
Aug 10, 2020

Hello! Thank you for the fast reply, ummm I've been told you need to be careful with updating BIOS, also is there an auto update function in the menu or do i need to put the update manually on a USB?

Thank you

D

Deleted member 2720853

Take a flash drive. Format it to FAT32.

Download BIOS version F14 from Gigabyte's website. Yes, it's not the latest. The latest currently is a beta BIOS which you should avoid, which is why I'm recommending F14.

Open the downloaded archive, extract only B360HD3.F14 to your flash drive (ignore the other files), and restart your PC. Boot into BIOS.

Find the Q-Flash option and follow the instructions to update your BIOS. Make sure to do this when you're certain that the power won't go out, and nothing will intrerrupt the BIOS update process. BIOS updates are relatively safe if you follow the instructions right.

After it's done you should be on BIOS version F14 and your motherboard will be ready for the i7-9700K.

Reactions: T0xicsaurus

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just for reference, PC Part Picker will always throw up that flag if a BIOS update is required for a processor to run on a specific motherboard. They have no way of knowing if a BIOS update has been performed or not, so they can only assume the original BIOS for any given motherboard.

-Wolf sends